Turntable Mat question

I read a turntable Mat comparison which mentioned that although there are many different choices,
some audiophiles will use LP Records as a mat
What is your opinion about this ?
rocky1313
I have been using the Mitchell record clamp for a few years now in combination with the 5mm Achromat.

The beauty of the Mitchel is that you can apply as little or as much pressure as you desire. And it comes with two different thickness felt washers so some flexibility there too.

Not seen any issues on 200g vinyl and it really does flatten down some of the "flexi flier" records very well indeed.

YMMV
@rocky1313 Others have given you the clarification you asked for as well as I could.
I'm surprised uberwaltz. The washer that comes with the Mitchell clamp is very thick compared to the other systems I have used. I'm sure it compresses some and I have not use one myself as my turntables are already accommodated. Keep an eye on your 200 gm records. I bet if you look closely right around the spindle hole you will see a few little cracks show up. It does not effect playback at all and I doubt it will ever effect playback over a person's lifetime. So it is a mute issue but, it does happen. The system is also way better than not doing anything and I think better than the periphery ring which is a PIA to use and puts a lot more weight on the bearing which can't be good for it. In the case of the Clearaudio with the magnetic bearing you have to use the ring every play or the bearing will not sag as much changing the VTA and with a pivoted arm the azimuth even though it will not change the wear rate of the bearing.  
As I said mine came with TWO felt washers, not sure if that is common?
The one I use is half the thickness of the other.

I did try the thicker one but even on a thin flexible record it just did not feel right so back in the drawer that went never to see the Sun again!

Possibly Mitchell realised their original standard washer was maybe too thick for some of the 180 and 200g reissues? Feedback to them from customers possibly?

That would be my best guess.

I have only ever used the thinner one and I truly do not lock it down very hard.