Can one ever be "done" in this hobby?

I would like to think I am pretty much in audio nirvana right now but supremely well aware how quickly that can change to audio nervosa!

What do think?

Is it really possible to kick the addiction and be done and just sit back and enjoy the music?

Has anybody managed this trick of the mind?
128x128uberwaltz

Audio nervosa is something people create all on their own, or allow others to create it for them.

MG

MG

I actually completely agree with your statement... And Miller's to an extent.

Yes a lot of it is in the mind but the mind as being powerful can at the same time be a very weak thing and easily influenced.

These forums can and certainly ARE both blessing and curse!

Hi uberwaltz

This is why I preach doing instead of talking. Audio is simply not nearly as hard as people are making it.

On one end you gather the info and on the other end you tune that info back in so it plays how you want it to.

MG

I think "audio nervosa" and the image of the audiophile as on an endless path of upgrades and expense is just a stereotype. Sure, there are those who fit the stereotype, but it’s no more than that.

Based on what I see, most people who own high-end audio equipment are actually somewhat reluctant to "upgrade." After all, their systems are already at a pretty high level of performance. For that reason, they also tend to be reluctant to embrace the latest technology. That’s why so many high-enders waited before they jumped on the CD bandwagon. It was obvious from the beginning that the technology was immature.

None of this means my audio system doesn’t slowly evolve over time. But it’s a gradual process and often driven by technology. Things like streaming and remote control preamps weren’t an option when I assembled my first high end system decades ago, for example.