Does anyone use wood for vibration control?

What kind of wood have you found to be best?
bksherm
geoffkait,

michaelgreen did not convince me in any way you seem to be convinced he did. However, I give people credit when I think they are due. I cannot disagree with him more on many things, but some things he is right about, for all I know. Including that it is, to say it politely, silly to aim to annihilate all the vibrations. Hearing sounds is a little more than just some electrical signal in the wire. It really is. It is actually much more than that. Unfortunately, it takes more than "directionality", "only dead vibrations are good vibrations", and a few more cute quasi-deep statements to get even a superficial grasp of it.
geoffkait,

On which planet do these two statements, you wrote within a day or two, come together?

"Yes, the Sony Walkman is not (rpt not) susceptible to vibration......…..Not to mention my 12 ounce system does not have a whole lot of mass and stuff hanging off it to even vibrate."

"Some unwanted consequences of vibration:...…...

2. CD laser assembly vibrating due to external forces."
Yes, glubson, those two statements appear to be contradictory. Emphasis on the word appear. One doesn’t have to look too hard to see a great many contradictions in the whole debate of whether tis better to let vibrations roam free and unfettered or to try to harness and constrain them.

To vibrate or not to vibrate, that is the question: Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous vibration, Or to take arms against a sea of vibrations. And by opposing end them?

michaelgreenaudio
I have done this same testing hundreds of times, maybe thousands, and have never been able to conclude that the audio signal fits outside of the scope of the forces interactions. Everything literally affects everything else. The "audio signal" is tunable.

>>>>Well, I don’t think that’s any news. Not at all. Everybody and his brother knows we can change the sound by using different materials for footers. And by damping, isolating, coupling. But to get the results we’re hoping for we need the RIGHT MATERIALS. Otherwise we’re shooting blanks in the dark. I’ve already given the general roadmap for using cones of different materials, it’s the Hardness that’s the primary variable. I’ve also suggested a comprehensive plan of vibration management that includes competent isolation plus an effective means for evacuating vibration that resides on the TOP PLATE of the isolator.

One thing in your tests that jumps out at me is your test with ebony which is p, as I’ve oft pointed out is highly resonant and actually interferes with the natural resonances of the component. I’ve done the tests, too. Besides ebony is directional, top to bottom and in the azimuthal direction. Ebony generally is useful as a sympathetic resonator ON TOP of components, speakers, Tube Traps, and operate to dissipate UNWANTED VIBRATIONS. When used as footers resonators reflect energy instead of allowing it to escape,

It should also be pointed out that the SHUN MOOK Mpingo discs are much more powerful than stock ebony, being a combo of African rosewood and Gabon ebony, and containing a crystal inside, for increased resonance. AND they’ve been marked for directionality, so there's much less guesswork.  It’s no wonder your results are inconclusive.

Springs, as I’ve oft pointed out, must be matched to the load to get the proper BANG. Again, you apparently don’t get how springs work. Springs are an anti gravity device.

You’ve been doing this testing how long? Thousands of times? It’s not how many.

readers feel free to visit TuneLand

http://tuneland.forumotion.com/

The audiophile forum that gives detailed info on this topic including pictures, diagrams and many active in-room systems with threads. You'll find TuneLand to have a ton less confusion for those of you who would like to read without the spins (we are troll free). We give a list of different types of wood and the long history of mechanical transfer.

thank you for your emails!

Michael Green

http://www.michaelgreenaudio.net/