Does anyone use wood for vibration control?

What kind of wood have you found to be best?
bksherm
I like glubson. Glubson is kind of like the TV show, Seinfeld. It’s a show about nothing. He does it so well but it’s such a narrow range. 
pekri
If I understand this correctly, the "hardware" (Audio Gear) needs to be "connected" to something that will absorb any unwanted resonant frequencies present in the gear? And the "something" that is absorbing the unwanted resonances needs to be isolated from the vibrations in the "world" so there are no unwanted vibrations from the "world" that make their way into the gear?

Do I have that sort of right?

>>>>Yes, and more to the point - all (repeat all) vibrations that affect the audio signal anywhere in the audio system are unwanted. This includes all electronics, internal speaker wiring, power cords and cables. You can think of vibrations like cockroaches. You don’t want any of them. There are no good cockroaches. Don’t coddle cockroaches. Kill them.

1. The very low frequency vibration coming up from the floor, including speaker mechanical feedback and seismic type vibration.
2. The mechanical vibrations produced by acoustic waves in the room when music is playing.
3. Vibrations produced by transformers, capacitors, motors such as turntable motors, CD transport mechanisms.

What are the sources of external vibration? Footfall, wind, Earth crust motion, traffic, subways, trains, ocean waves on the shore, ceiling fans, local construction,

Some unwanted consequences of vibration:

1. CDs fluttering during play and LPs and stylus vibrating excited by external forces.
2. CD laser assembly vibrating due to external forces.
3. Cables power cords and wires vibrating due to external forces.

Thus, a complete vibration management system controls as much as possible the flow of vibration upwards from the floor and downwards fro the component. What is required is a very low natural frequency isolation system with efficient damping for the top plate and a path out of the entire system so that energy is not stored in the system. There are six (count em!) directions of motion that should be isolated but much can be done with a simple and low Fr vertical isolator.

No matter how much you have in the end you could have had even more if you had started out with more.

michaelgreenaudio

I see what you are saying about the LPs and CDs and immediately made my own listening judgement call as soon as Michael walked into his listening area. On a professional level it would be a disqualifier for me to take his critiquing of components and music seriously. I would classify Michael’s room more of a music collectors room than a listeners room. That’s not a slam on Michael, just a different part of the hobby than I am a part of. I will make this comment though, If I sat down and listened to both his system and your system (with exception of the body effect) I would bet that I would choose your system over Michael’s.

>>>>Unlike Michael Green I have no such inhibitions about critiquing anyone’s system or ideas, etc., even someone in the industry. It’s nothing personal, though. But on the dodgy subject of having a lot of LPs or CDs in the room I’d like to stress that this issue is much deeper than it might appear. It’s really not really any kind of resonance issue, although there might be sine of that going on, too, what with the CD jewel boxes acting as resonant cavities, but the real reason why I suggest removing all LPs, all CDs, all books, all magazines, and all personal electronic devices from the room has to do with the general problem that all media and connections to global media creates for the listener. It’s a Peter Belt thing. Along the lines of Mind-Matter Interaction, for lack of a better term. It’s the subconscious mind interacting with the local environment. Thus, even if CDs were placed in paper sleeves instead of plastic jewel boxes the problem would remain. This is why I’m positive Michael Fremer does not and can not enjoy the glorious sound he should be enjoying with the $30,000 tonearm and the rest of his system. The superb, exquisitely detailed and dynamic sound is in his room, though. He just can’t hear it properly or completely because if all the interference. His brain 🧠 is like a receiver picking up interference. Can I even say this? Will I be banned? And I apologize if I’m scaring any newbies.

Panzerholz. Delrin. These are the two relatively commonplace materials with very low resonance. Other materials are far behind.

Note the words ’low resonance’. That is the property of absorbing vibration so as to not ring.

Both panzerholz and delrin are costly, so you don’t see them used much. It is rather less costly to market the hell out of junk. Every material has its uses, but for a TT I mostly use panzerholz, as it has other properties of value, e.g. tensile strength.
Post removed