Does anyone use wood for vibration control?

What kind of wood have you found to be best?
bksherm
Heard a couple audiophiles at a meeting talk about using those thick Ikea wood chopping blocks under speakers. 
So, I do find the subject of coupling/decoupling gear of great interest. 

Between all the tremendous witticisms, there is some information that I am finding helpful, especially as I am trying to figure out how the whole thing works. 

If I understand this correctly, the "hardware" (Audio Gear) needs to be "connected" to something that will absorb any unwanted resonant frequencies present in the gear? And the "something" that is absorbing the unwanted resonances needs to be isolated from the vibrations in the "world" so there are no unwanted vibrations from the "world" that make their way into the gear?

Do I have that sort of right?

Thanks

P

perkri,

Thank you for mentioning word "unwanted". I think that is the most important thing to understand in this whole story. Unwanted. I tried to mention it in some way over the few posts but got nowhere. Maybe you are a better luck as you put it in better writing.
boxer12,

When I was writing that thing with unicorns I was, sort of, serious. I followed the logic. Green pen used to do some magic. These days, black stickers do some magic. Why not black stickers that glow in the right shade of green, but only when placed in the darkness of the CD player? Ok, it does not have to be unicorn, but how would you resist it? Not to mention that unicorn has smooth irregular shapes, so any possibility of standing waves, bouncing stray something, or whatever else may get mentioned on Audiogon, would be minimized. The idea is really not that much more bizarre than many we read about here.

Still, I am afraid that not much that involves me would end up being a thing of beauty. Who knows, maybe with geoffkait’s imposing presence, it is possible. Otherwise, my business skills are dismal. I could not sell a sandwich to a starving billionaire. Whole venture with unicorns would probably collapse with less sales than NDM has now.
I like glubson. Glubson is kind of like the TV show, Seinfeld. It’s a show about nothing. He does it so well but it’s such a narrow range.