Why not use a non-contact stylus on a turntable?

I read comments about static-free playback of LPs with some amount of satisfaction.

When CDs were introduced, I quit worrying about the mechanics and started enjoying the music. More so with computer audio.

However, lots of folks like vinyl .... apparently. ;<)

Why not take all the worry, wringing of hands, and frustration out of the equation by insisting on touch-free stylus technology?

What is the technology? Hell if I know! But if nerds can sample the bits on a CD, they can sure as heck track the grooves on an LP!

Not only track the grooves, but filter out the grunge!

Play your oldest vinyl in complete background silence!

Put technology to work on vinyl! You’ll breathe easier for it.

Kind regards,

Greg
cgregory4
Novotechnik U.S., Inc. - Southborough, MA

Manufacturer*

Types of sensors include potentiometric & non-contacting position linear sensors.

Honeywell Sensing and Internet of Things - Fort Mill, SC

Manufacturer*

Features include immunity to electrical noise, infinite resolution and miniature design.

Micro-Epsilon - Locations

Manufacturer*, Custom Manufacturer

Manufacturer and custom manufacturer of sensors linear motion transducers. Various features include wear-free, compact sensor designs, permanent linear output signals, high resolutions and current or voltage outputs.

TT Electronics - Carrollton, TX

Manufacturer*

Manufacturer of linear displacement (LDT)/motion transducers including linear sensors. Hall effect and position sensors are available.

>>> There have to be at least 1000 US companies engaged in the business of linear displacement transducers. Yet, not one of you ’audiophiles’ will admit there is a way to improve your favorite pastime of playing vinyl.

I guess we get what we deserve.

Kind regards,

Greg
A product of any one of the companies you cite might well be used to create a novel type of phono cartridge but can you say how one would read the information in the grooves without contacting the surface? That’s the crux of your issue, is it not? The ELP laser turntable does work, but as you’ve been told, it has serious shortcomings. You act and sound as if there were some very obvious solutions to what you think is a problem. Enlighten us. Or go away.
Agree with Lewm

If you have a notion , instead of lambasting the forum and its members go right ahead and invest the time, money and effort required in this endeavor.

Then return with a product to show us all how it is done.

Sorry if that comes over as harsh but it is almost as if you blame the community at large for this.
By the time you look at this from a 21st century lens you may as well replace the lp with a modern analog signal storage medium.
Records are great. My audio life and business both are built around them. Much respect to the serious engineers that made them have such high sound quality potential against so many challenges. Nearly 100 years ago...
Reinvent the analog disk AND how it is played back.
I suspect not enough people care to make this feasible.