AYRE VX-5 TWENTY- WHICH TUBE PREAMP MATCHS

Hello,

I am wondering which tube preamps are recommended with Ayre VX-5 amp.?
Speakers are Magnepan 1.7i

Any suggestions would be highy appreciated.

dvinkl
Ayre has very high input impedance (1 megaohm), so tube preamps should generally speaking be a great match.

drrsutliff

Looking forward in reading about your impressions on the QX-5 Twenty / Audience AU24 SX XLR combination.  Happy Listening!

This is a slightly different combo, but I heard and deHavilland Ultraverve 3 preamp paired with an Ayre v6xe and I enjoyed that cobo. Personally I preferred going tube all the way through, but the Ayre kept a lot of the tube qualities and added some solid impact. 
 I assume you mean by “balanced standard” that there are conpanies that incorporate XLR jacks but that they have single ended circuitry, as opposed to fully balanced designs such as those by Ayre and Aestestix?
Actually no. A component can support the balanced standard and be internally single-ended. In such a case transformers are used to convert from one to the other.

The balanced standard has to do with how the signal moves from one piece to the other. Here it is in a nutshell:

1) pinouts: pin 1 is ground, pin 2 is non-inverted, pin 3 is inverted (pins 2 and 3 are reversed in Europe)
2) Ground is **ignored**. This means that the pin 2 and 3 signals do not reference ground; instead they reference each other. This is where the vast majority of high end audio products fail to meet the standard. For example ARC has the pin 2 and 3 outputs, but each one references ground to complete the circuit. This is important as this puts signal currents in the shield, which isn't supposed to have any, otherwise ground loops can result and the construction of the cable can also be a lot more audible. Output transformers do this by having no center tap and just a simple secondary (if an output) connected to pins 2 and 3 and nothing else.An input transformer does this by having its primary connected again to just pins 2 and 3 and nothing else. Pin 1 in both cases is simply ground.

3) the system is low impedance- 600 ohms used to be the old standard; these days its considered adequate if the balanced output can drive 2000 ohms or less. For this reason the line stage is essentially a small power amplifier. The resulting low impedances also help prevent noise pickup, longer cable lengths (although the benefit is there even if the cable is only 6 inches) and immunity to the cable itself, allowing the system to be less colored and more musical.
I have been running a K-5xeMP and VX-5 twenty for one year.  Then moved to a Rogue RP-7 for the headphone output.  Both preamps played well with the VX-5.20. The K-5xeMP is my first pick when a "stock" comparison with the RP-7.  the K-5xeMP has a very small advantage to the RP-7 in terms of "just right" sonics and has been considered a the best of tubes and solid state preamp for many years.  The stock RP-7 has more connectivity (headphone, two XLR outs) and potentially could sound better with NOS or upgraded current production 12AU7 tubes.  I loved the K-5xeMP and VX5.20.  The RP-7 is current production and meets more of my daily requirements.  I would live happily with either pairing.