Amplifier current vrs watts; why is current more important?

Lately when talking to knowledgeable people in the audio industry I’ve been hearing how current delivery is more important than watts in determining weather an amplifier will drive a speaker.
So what exactly is current and how does it effect speaker performance? How can a amplifier rated at 150 watts into 8 ohms vs one rated at 400 watts into 8 ohms be a better match for a hard to drive speaker?
hiendmmoe
hiendmmoe

Doesn't matter what "spin" is put on it, when you have good current, the amp stays flatter in frequency response, instead of looking like a tone control.
An amp needs current along with the watts, as these frequency response graphs show, of the same "wattage" amps with and without good current ability into the same easy speaker load.
https://forum.audiogon.com/posts/1730185

Cheers George

Hi atmasphere. I love your amps by the way. If I had reasonably normal loudspeakers I'd have a pair for sure. I have my eye on a pair of Soundlabs which I understand do wonderfully with your MA 2s.
I am not sure I understand your last statement. Are you saying that zero feedback amps can supply more current and would do better driving low impedance loudspeakers?
I am not sure I understand your last statement. Are you saying that zero feedback amps can supply more current and would do better driving low impedance loudspeakers?
No. I am saying that some loudspeakers (like Sound Labs) don't need a very low output impedance in order for the amp to sound right on them. Other examples are most horns, most full-range-driver loudspeakers (like Lowthers) and other speakers where the designer found that he preferred the smoother sound of tubes.

Unless you have a very benign flat impedance speaker (rare) that doesn't wander to much from being a flat impedance between 20hz to 20khz, only then is an amp with watts but little current OK.

You need an amp with both "watts" to suit the dB efficiency to get the loudness you want, and "good current" to keep the "loudness" you want during the "low impedance" dips (that nearly all speakers have).
This stops the amp becoming a tone control, and modifying the flat frequency response. Just as in the graphs I put up.   https://forum.audiogon.com/posts/1730185

Cheers George
Post removed