Entry level turntable for my son

Hello all, 
My 16 year old has the same audio sickness as me. He recently approached me about acquiring a turntable for his system. Any recommendations on the entry level stuff from Rega, project, music hall, etc? Should I stick with the newer stuff or look for an older model like a Planar 3 or a MMF-5? I still use my Linn LP 12,  but I hear the newer ones out there have some nice new features the older entry level stuff didn’t. I don’t think he will be looking to do any modifications in the near future, he just wants to spin some vinyl. 
Thanks in advance!
skipper320
You must be one of the lucky ones.  I used the 'standard' Hurst motor in my Linn Sondek and it broke on me after about 18 months with grinding noises. My point is, I AM talking from experience.

Unless VPI is using a 'specialized' version of the Hurst motor, the issue is there.

At one point, being aware of this issue, I know VPI improved the motor by attaching a brass sleeve to the top bearing but this is a band aid, never a proper solution.

An axial motor without two bearings is bound to fail sooner or later.  It is a design flaw.

I gave my nephew my 30 year old VPI and he has never had a problem with that Hurst motor!!
Maybe the motors were built much better 30 years ago.. Just like pretty much everything else these days
Post removed