Wilson Sasha versus Watt Puppy 8

Hi Folks:

Recently had the opportunity to listen to the Wp's successor with a Boulder amplifier. That was also a treat because it was the first Boulder I have ever heard. Impressive but not to my taste.

In any event, I was slightly surprised to find that I prefer the sound of the WP 8, which, to this day, is the best Wilson I have ever heard and that includes the original Alexandria and the excellent MAXX 2's. The Sasha sounded a bit more "refined" but, at least on this system, seemed to give up a little richness in the treble and bass energy. Still a very good speaker indeed. Anyone notice the same thing on other systems?

My WP 8 experience was in New York at the last Sterophile show with the amazing BAT VK150SE's. A fantastic time indeed.

D.H.
danhirsh
Wow you guys are tough on the overpriced mighty Wilson's. Very surprised to see so much criticism. I've liked Wilson's in the past but thought they really didn't compete well with other speakers in their price class.

If say the MAXX was in the price group of the Puppy(haven't heard the Sasha's) I would say Wilson would have a fighting chance. Other than that they are very well built and do have a unique sound but nothing that really blows you away

Coincident PMC & Westlake would be worth a listen to compete with Wilson
At the last CES show I heard the Sasha'S with BAT's reference mono amps. They sounded extremely good. More musical then my WP7's. They also sounded good with AR amp, preamp and Continuum $100,000 plus turntable. A very bad match with Lamm Hybrid Amps. I never liked the Boulder sound- clinical. Now for my money the difference between the Wilson 7 and possibly the 8's (never heard them) and the Sasha's is not great enough to match the price difference of used vs New plus the significant price increase.
The very best speaker combo at the show was the Maxx3 with Lamm's best amp and preamp. A different Level all together.

If room size was not an issue I would buy the WP 8 for now and wait a few years for the MAXX3 to be on the used market. That's what I am going to do.
IMO what you were hearing is the difference in amplification (Boulder Solid State -vs- BAT Tubes). Wilson speakers do a great job in revealing the components connected to them.

BAT Tubes would sound more musical and laid back compared to Solid State electronics.... I have never been a fan of Wilson speakers, until the Sasha...
I'm with Kwb on this one.

You should have listened to Sasha with BAT gear. It gives Sasha completely different sonic perspective than Boulder.
I've owned both the WP8s & Sashas, which have afforded me the luxury of listening to each of them in my home environment. To my ears the Sashas are a big step forward. I used them both with Lamm M1.2 Ref monos. I really love the presence that the Sashas have. The 8s had the same presence, but to a lesser degree. Happy Listening.