Thiel cs2.4 upgrade to cs 2.4 se

I'm currently using thiel cs2.4. Any master can advise on how to upgrade to cs2.4se by changing its capacity? May i know the value and specs of the capacitors? What is the sound difference between cs2.4 vs dc2.4se? Tq
desmond888
very curious about your findings!!

@holco

I was able to compare the Cardas and FST channels in mono over the weekend. Not an apples to apples comparison because I used the Cardas in biwire configuration, so changed two variables at once (actually three variables: hookup wire, binding posts, and biwire cabling). I do have jumpers and will compare biwire to single speaker cable later (in stereo instead of mono) but wanted to maximize any differences for this test.

One thing I did *not* hear was increased bass impact as you reported. There was one song where I *did* hear much more prominent bass (and a less than pleasing glow on vocals and such) but it turned out that I failed to disconnect the FST channel, so was hearing the output from both speakers (the FST speaker was behind and slightly to the side of the Cardas speaker at the time). Laughing out loud.

First off, the FST channel sounded great and I would have been happy if that were the final configuration. The Cardas didn’t reveal FST wire to be “broken”. That said, the Cardas wire/binding posts bring what I would call an ultimate level of refinement. The differences were subtle in mono but important for the sound I’ve been seeking. I heard more immediacy/presence, more flesh. A bit richer tonal saturation. This was most apparent on vocals and instruments sharing the frequency of human voice (guitar, violin, woodwinds, etc). Also, acoustic bass, kettle drums and toms. I did *not* hear any differences on cymbals, chimes, and bells.

Yesterday I installed the Cardas in the second channel. Listening in stereo revealed that this effort and expense was well worth it. It’s hard to describe the sonics, but I’ll try. The Cardas wire/posts (and biwire speaker cables) “snapped everything into focus”, gelled the sonic picture into a cohesive whole. I would say more openness and clarity, more immediacy, denser images, more holographic, and a sweeter/richer midrange. I had been considering an ultra bypass cap to sweeten the midrange – no longer on my to-do list.

There is no end to combinations to investigate. My configuration came mostly from the mind of Tom Thiel who brought his wealth of knowledge and experience, and spent many months researching the possibilities for the CS2.4. With more time and money, I thought I might further investigate some “ultra” possibilities (Clarity CMR caps, possibly mixed with Jantzen Alumen Z; Jupiter copper foil or Audyn True Copper Max bypasses; Path Audio resistors in the coax and woofer feeds). But that was before I heard my configuration with the Cardas. The sound I am getting is astounding. Other than low bass, I really can’t ask for better performance. Just, WOW!

Hi beetlemania,

As for the cables, I was wondering if you also changed the cables that go from the xover boards to the coax and bass drivers?

Thanks.
Sound's good beetlemania, what a piece of wire can do ;)

Btw, the tighter/more bass was with the wax coil's
@andy2
I replaced every passive part from the binding posts to the driver hookup wire.
Binding posts: Cardas "CPBP" (rhodium over silver), dual for biwire
Woofer in: Cardas 2x15 ga twisted pair plus 2x17.5 ga hand twisted (~14 ga equivalent)
Woofer out: Cardas 2x15 ga twisted pair
Coax in: Cardas 2x15 ga twisted pair
Coax out: Cardas 2x17.5 ga hand twisted
(wire gauge per Tom Thiel recommendation; OEM wire was 18 ga throughout)
Btw, the tighter/more bass was with the wax coil's
Ah, please remind me how your new wire changed the sound.