Buy LED, LCD or Plasma

Going for a new TV. Any hints, warnings or advice? It will go over the fireplace instead of the rug there now.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xalbertporter
Albert-

The digital out has no volume control (if that is what you mean). You need whatever you plug it into to control the volume.

Mark
Mhedges, Yep, I found that out. The Panasonic has not been delivered so I did not have owners book but got an answer from Panasonic help line.

Looks like no way for the TV remote to control their own speakers plus another pair in the room. Seems like for a screen that large, that would be an attractive option. I was going to buy a cheap two channel integrated, set the volume where it balanced nicely with the TV speakers and then control all with TV remote.

Any other way would mute the TV but not the alternate speakers, bad idea for broadcast since they flood us with commercials and the more expensive V10 Panasonic with digital and analog outputs has same limitations.
Why not just forget about the tv's built in speakers and rely on your other speakers? That's what I do.

Mark
My wife is the main TV watcher, that option would require two remote controls.

I bought a U-verse RF remote because the AT&T box is hidden. That same remote will run the Panasonic IR controls. Maybe I can program an IR extender to control the (not yet purchased) integrated.

You did make me think about this some more. It will be easier once I get the TV and read over everything.
You probably need to use HDMI outputs of TV to an inexpensive receiver with HDMI in. Then get some kind of very coherent horns and sit back 12 feet or more and enjoy real movie theater sound.
I passed on the S series due to lack of analog audio outputs. My G10 runs to a JRDG Capri preamp which does not accept HDMI.
There is a thread on Audio Circle now about choosing an HDMI receiver.