Laserdisc Dynamics vs Blu Ray

I've done a lot of research lately on the merits of Laserdisc. A number of people have suggested that a Dolby PCM Surround track sounds much better then DVD and even in some respects better then Blu Ray.

I understand the DVD vs Laserdisc comparison because of the resolution and lack of compression found on Laserdisc in Dolby PCM and even DTS. What I've found interesting is that Laserdisc used Theatrical Audio Cuts while DVD and Blu Ray use watered down Studio mixes for the home. The theory being that many users will use cheaper speakers and television's as their primary audio sources. A Theatrical Audio cut offers dynamics most systems couldn't endure, therefore the mix down.

Can anybody share experiences? Has anybody compared a Lossless Blu Ray presentation vs an older Laserdisc Dolby Surround cut on a decent setup?
lush
Kwe78,

Have you done a direct comparison of say Mission Impossible on LD vs it's DVD counterpart? Or Perhaps Apocalypse Now? I ask because while there is very little debate about blu ray outside of better dynamics on LD (Theatrical cut vs Home Users) I've heard many state that DVD is simply inferior as it's resolution is compressed and LD isn't. I guess it would be the comparison of MP3 5.1 vs. PCM 2.0 remixed into 4 channel.
Nothing wrong with fond memories. I still yearn for the sound I got from an old Yamaha ca integrated with a set of Technics 10" 3ways and a Technics tt...man that sounded good...using 'zip' cord for spkr cables. It kicked butt. However, when it comes to ht newer is better which is the topic of discussion here I do believe. Even my sdvd copy of Master and Commander pales in comparison to the BR version...the first battle scene will make your lips quiver and skin crawl with excitement. No LD will do that.
Lush, sorry for the lag in response, been busy tubin. The short answer is no. I have not made that particular comparison, Apocalypse Now was always one of my favorite LDs. Your point about 5.1 vs. PCM 2.0 remixed into 4 channel is a good one however. Truly difficult to make an apples to apples comparison there. As 7.1 is the order of the day and HD quality video is vying for space with audio on a single double layer disk audio compression will always be a concern.

I doubt we could ever reach a consensus on the comparison mainly because LDs have fallen so far out of the mainstream. I would say this however. Any format that requires me to get up and put in the second disk to finish watching a movie hearkens me back to the first time I heard an 8 track tape switch tracks ( in Dark side of the Moon, it was an abomination). Though the sound may be better (if we could come to an agreement on that point which I'm not sure we have) I just can't get past the interruption. I feel the same way about the new 45rpm vinyl editions. I own a few and they sound fantastic but it's too interuptive to have to change the side every few songs. I try to look at movie enjoyment in it's entirety. In home theater the sum of the parts has to equal a worthwhile experience. If one of these parts is disproportionately lacking in quality such as to detract from the enjoyment of the film I don't deem it worth MY time and money to build a system around it. Others might disagree.

The music/audio portion of my DVD Blueray based home theater system has never once made me yearn for the long lost Laser disk days of yore. I'm an audio snob, I freely admit this. The quality of current audio simply does not draw adverse attention to itself in my system. Quite the contrary, I find it quite satisfying. That is the litmus test for me. It's why I still love vinyl and finally got into tubes. There are some things that refuse to die, laser disks just do not seem to be on the list...
I had chance the other night to do a comparison of Laser Disc and DVD. I just received a new DVD copy of “Russia House” the picture on my old LD is not that good. The DVD’s picture is outstanding. Very detailed and clear. I sound is another story. I really like the music and it just sounds better on the LD. It has a warm quality. The DVD is crisp and bright but not in a bad way. The DVD is 3 channel and the LD is stereo. Now as of other LD movies I’ve replaced like the 3 original Star Wars movies, the remastered one’s are way better then the LD’s in every way. PS: My Laser Disc Player flips the disc automatically, I still have to flip if it is three sided movie. LOL
VegasEars,

The Star Wars LD's were they the THX certified transfers? Usually known as the 'Faces'.