Tekton Design's new THE PERFECT SET equals "goosebumps time"

Just got in house for review for hometheaterreview.com Tekton Design’s new, The Perfect SET, which is close to 100dB efficient and never dips below 8 ohms, which Eric built to be used with SET "flea watt" amplifiers. It is a front ported design using a 12 inch woofer and his patented array of small transducers that function as a midrange driver with a single tweeter in the middle. I set them up in a system with a great 2A3 SET amplifier and found them so superlative I did not stop listening for over five hours! Taking about "goosebump time" the music was so beautiful that
I lost track of time.

These speakers have all the virtues of the other Tekton speakers, speed, utter transparency/micro-details, great soundstaging, and that special "aliveness" that I experience when I listen to my Ulf’s. What really amazed me was what the Perfect SET was delivering on the bottom end frequencies, subterrainian/taut powerful bass, that was shaking the room, all coming from at most 2.5 to 3 watts.

If you love SET amplifiers this speaker is a match made in heaven, and remember this pair just arrived and is not totally burnt in yet.

teajay

dcevans,

Thanks for asking Teajay for some specific comparisons between the speakers to start with.  While Teajay said he would be doing a more in-depth review, I'm glad he answered our questions now.

By the way, I doubt I am a more dedicated audiophile, I just happened to have a portion of our walkout basement I could remodel into a listening and movie room (heavy emphasis on listening).

I also wanted to respond because we currently have similar speakers. The Heresy III’s you have are very fine speakers and I've been listening to various models since the 70s.  I run Klipsch Forte I’s from the late 90s modified with Bob Crites’s crossovers and titanium tweeter diaphragms as well as older vintage Heresy midrange horns and compression drivers since they are the exact same one’s used in the Forte I’s, but are are of higher quality vs. the period my Fortes where made.  (Klipsch, like other companies mentioned in this thread, used other manufacture’s drivers and changed them based on availability, cost, etc.).  These changes brought more clarity and control the midrange and upper frequencies while better integrating the already deep and tight bass.  Of course your Heresy III’s already have all the current improvements.

If I didn't feel some more depth, richness, etc., could be added to the midrange based on higher end horn speakers I’ve heard, or the reviews I’ve read about Tekton, I would be quite satisfied given the investment made.  

While horns may not end up being the best match for you, here’s what has worked for me with the Forte I's.

While I’m not familiar with how you have situated the speakers in your den, lifting my already 36” high Forte’s up another 5” to bring the tweeters to ear level gives the best detailed and open sound.  I also have them toed in so the horn is pointing a few inches outside of my ears in my listening position — rather typical with horns.

The Heresy, while the first Klipsch speaker not to have a horn loaded woofer — hence the name, since someone said the design was heresy — is still designed to be used near a corner or wall.  But playing with placement after attending to the tweeter’s position can still help.  The Forte’s have a passive radiator in the rear and require being about a foot and a half away from wall boundaries.  This is something you would want to consider with the rear ported Fritz Carrera, but I’m not familiar with that speaker myself, so hopefully someone else can address that for you.

You also mentioned the Heresy’s sound better at louder levels.  Mine can sound a bit thin at lower levels, but rising the tweeters did help with that.  I really got into stereos in the mid/late 70s during college while working part-time at a dedicated stereo store (back when they existed) and graphic equalizer were very popular.  A restored/upgraded SAE Seven that I am not ashamed to use helps give a fuller sound when adding a touch of bass and high end (actually subtracting what you want to de-emphasis is best).  Tekton’s ability to help our midrange focused hearing at lower levels does sound intriguing though.

Some of the coloration issues in horns is helped with tube amps, and your amp will certainly make the most of tube’s advantages, so your comment about tube rolling is worth looking into (and fun).  As you probably know, the greatest sonic change typically takes place rolling the tubes used in the front end, 6SN7’s I believe in your case.  While subjective, basically you change tubes with characteristics to either add warmth OR give a more analytical sound, so decide which direction you’d like to go based on what you’re hearing.

You mentioned about giving up some resolution to help make poorer recording more tolerable, so if you want to use the den’s sound system to enjoy these records, going with warmer tubes and/or speakers can help mask their short comings.

Finally, while your room is primarily a den, acoustic treatments still play a big roll.  A friend who has Focal Aria 948’s, (amazing speakers in their own right), and was familiar with my Forte’s before the listening room was build and treated said he was surprised horn speakers could as good as they do.  He has some nice wood covered acoustic absorbers and diffusers from GIK that are both very effective and aesthetic, so see what you think.

Didn’t mean to ramble or get off topic, and you probably know this stuff already, but hope some of this helps.  Good luck.

Hey jayctoy,

If I have my facts straight your amplifier is around 40 watts and can use a variety of tubes.  I see no reason  way the Art Audio would not be a good match with the Prefect Set.  So far, every amplifier I have tried sounds great and somewhat different based on the tubes it uses or being SS.
Clio09: Thank you very much for your input. I had also considered Aerial 5T’s for my den, but I really wanted to experiment with a high efficiency speaker and tube rolling. My main system (balanced) is comprised of an Audio evidence Research Reference 3 tube preamp, Audio Research PH-7 phonostage, Audio Research 100.2 solid state amp, VPI Classic turntable,  Bryston CD player, and afore mentioned Focal 1007 Be standmounts with a REL T9i subwoofer.  Very musical system that I think might compete with a system twice my cost.  Got the Audio Research gear used on Audiogon. 

If I decide to part ways with the Klipsch Heresys, I think the Fritz Carrera with it’s benign impedance curve would be to my liking. I live in Rapid City SD. I like the business model where boutique manufacturers sell to the consumer, allowing for a home trial. Yes, one can go to an audio show ( and Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in Denver has been on my bucket list for a number of years), but one still doesn’t know how a given speaker will sound in one’s own home.  At any rate, I think the Fritz Carrera with it’s benign impedance curve would be my first choice if the Klipsch Heresys don’t work out. 

Oldschoolsound: I was awestruck by the generosity of your response. Audiogon is a great forum — particularly I think for those of us living “in the Styx” with limited access to high end audio. Yes there are trolls on the website and some snarky comments, but all in all I have benefited from frequenting this forum over the past 10 years or so. You provided me with a wealth of history and good ideas. Thank you! I suspect you may be a Midwesterner like myself. I am going to try some tube rolling, possibly elevating the Heresys, and trying some more attractive room treatments before giving up on the Heresys. Again, many thanks for your kind, most generous input. 

This speaker company intrigues me. But man it seems you either love it or hate it.
dcevans,
sorry I wasn't around yesterday to answer your tube questions. So, here goes: first, a question, do you have the most recent Dynamo or the original? I have owned both. The original Dynamo is a sweeter sounding amp though less robust in power supply. The original uses 5U4G rectification or equivalent and the newer model 5AR4/GZ34 or equivalent.

My original Dynamo SE sound best with Gold Lion KT-77s; they were compared to Psvane black 6CA7-Z (el34) which I used initially for about 6 months. Then I conducted a tube shootout. NOS Siemens el34, Tung-Sol el34s, New Mullard el34s and Gold Lion KT-77s. My results matched reviewer Steve Smith's results closely. Order of finish: KT-77s Psvane, Tung-Sol, Mullard, NOS Siemens.

My 6SL7 choice is either RCA Red base 5691 or NOS Sylvania 6SL7WGT. Rectifier tube best NOS GEC 5U4G, NOS Mullard CV378, RCA 5U4G or NOS Mullard 5AR4.

Along the way I modified my original Coincident Dynamo SE at the advice of Yazaki-San. Read about this gentleman on Jeff Day's Blog now on Positive-Feedback. Yazaki-san recommendations included strengthening the power supply, use of better capacitors, NOS resistors, rewire of internal wires with Old Western Electric tin-plated copper. 

You might consider contacting fellow Agon member grannyring for a loom of Dueland powecords, interconnects, speaker wire...all of which work great with the Coincident and my current Tekton speakers, Lore and Mini-Lore. I also use these wires with my DeVore Orangutan 0/96 Leben. Best, mikirob