Do preamps have a material affect on high level sources?

It would seem that a preamp is merely attenuating a DAC output. How can it alter the signal?
If it doesn't degrade the signal, would logic dictate that at best it has no affect.
Help me understand
vjpacor
Post removed 
Post removed 
Thing is, modern preamps are so clear that even several of them in series hardly is even noticeable.
I generally agree with Lizzy, but in this case I must disagree.  IME, the preamp has a HUGE effect on the sound you ultimately hear from your system.  A lot of what you hear will be based on if your DAC can properly drive your amp, but there is no doubt a preamp will absolutely have a huge impact on what you ultimately hear.  I hope Ralph at @atmasphere will chime in here to check me, but my experience with several systems tells me the preamp is crucial in the ultimate sound quality of a system. 
Post removed 
vjpacor
 It would seem that a preamp is merely attenuating a DAC output. How can it alter the signal?

The fabled perfect "active preamp" sound, has the "the sound of a piece of wire" and it does not exist.

Any active amplification circuit, whether it has gain, zero gain or negative gain. Will have, and add, it’s distortion to what the source originally has feeding into it, and they all sound different, there is no "perfect preamp"

If you feed your source direct into the preamp and it has a digital domain volume control, this is about as perfect as you can get, so long as you don’t "bit strip" with too low a volume setting on the digital volume.

Cheers George