Do I have to use a streamer/renderer to play music from an NAS?

I apologize for the basic question. But, I can’t seem to find an answer online. I would like to put all my CDs on an NAS and play that music through my system. I have a Rotel RC/RB-1590 set up. I know some NAS boxes come with DLNA software installed, and I am looking at Synology because I read their software for finding and selecting music to play is pretty good. Eventually, I will probably end up with something like a Cambridge Audio CXN or 851N to stream tidal and digital radio, as well as the music on the NAS. But, do I have to have the Cambridge or some other device to just play the digital music from the NAS to start? I would like to do the purchases in steps so I can get better units as I can afford them.  Also, any advice on alternative solutions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
kumakahn
+ 1
at the bare minimum, you need a DAC.  Some how those 1s and 0s from the NAS have to be converted to sound.  I don’t know if the equipment you cited has a DAC.  Then you need to be able to tell the NAS what to play.
  A PC is a great way to start, most people have one lying around.  Great software programs for low expenditures can then provide you with a good GUI while simultaneously enhancing the sound output from the PC by disabling other functions.
My preamp does have a DAC. I think the main issue is how to push the music from the NAS to the preamp.
It doesn't look like your preamp supports dlna, so yes, you'll need something external. A bluesound node 2i or something similar would work. 
I use a Raspberry Pi with Logitech Media Server, but Volumio is the popular favorite.

I use the USB interface straight. Works great, but you can also buy inexpensive S/PDIF or even analog outputs as well.

What I like about both of these solutions is the Android and iPhone support as well as a web interface.
You might also look at something based on JRiver or Media monkey, especially if you have an old laptop lying around the house.
The answer is you need to add something to the NAS/DAC como.  You have to be able to see what’s on the NAS and to be able to direct the NAS to serve up tracks.  It could be a computer or a renderer