Linear tracking turntables, whatever happened?

Curious as to the demise and downfall of the seemingly short lived linear tracking TT.
Just from a geometry point of view I would have thought a linear arm should be superior to one with a fixed pivot that sweeps through an arc.
Obviously there is much more to it than that, sort of the reason for this thread.
I am genuinely interested in trying one out for myself as well.
128x128uberwaltz
@bdp24 ,
Using my ET with the VPI MKIV, I realized that the spring suspension wasn't optimal. I then modified that table to use Symposium Rollerblock Jrs. That was a definite improvement in SQ but still, I felt the ET needed a solid/stable support.

I use to see the ET on SOTA tts all the time. Since I've never owned one, I cannot comment. The one thing I've learned over the years is, in audio, things aren't always black & white.
It seems I really started something here which is wonderful.
However most of it is way over my head and makes me think I must be missing out big time on my vinyl reproduction.
But then I step back take a deep breath and put a record on and think, "well if it gets better than this I am not sure I really need it!"

Keep up the banter and information as some of it is sinking in!
@ct0517  my comment of disbelief about how much they sell for was more directed at the used market where you can pick them up for around 1000$
@uberwaltz,

It's a great hobby. The idea of the stylus tracing a record exactly as the cutting head makes perfect sense. Yet there are different ways of going about it for the best sound, the least wear on records etc... If you're looking to fall in love, (as I did) years ago, just like @ct0517 mentioned earlier, "LTL", you have that outlet to explore.
Brooks Berdan was (RIP) my turntable guy, and he loved the ET. He was first mounting it on the Oracle (a table for which he came up with a mod, which Oracle themselves eventually incorporated), and later the VPI's, particularly the TNT. The arm likes a high mass platform, which VPI's of course are. He was also a Versa Dynamics dealer, but that linear tracking arm/table was a LOT more money.