Top 3 Most Overrated Artists contest in R&R.

I nominate
#1 KISS (What is R&R hall of fame after all?)
#2 Jonn Bon Jovi (actually can share same spot with Kiss)
#3 Rolling Stones (mostly they just don't make sense and hardly ever I can note of anyone being any good there)
czarivey
Just want to point out that being very good and being over or under rated are not mutually exclusive.

Springsteen probably tops my list. I went to college in JErsey in his heyday and acclimated quite a bit, but I find a lot of his music just flat out boring and whiny. I do like some of his stuff though. SO still good, but overrated, except in his home turf in Jersey I suppose.

Kiss is seldom held in high regard musically, so I doubt they are overrated, but nothing special overall, though they were trend setters, FBOFW.

The Stones...other than not being a fan of Mick Jagger's vocals when performing live, I think they deserve the accolades they receive. Mick is part of that formula though, so I would only judge him on those terms. It doesn't really matter how he stacks up vocally against others, though he can hold his own with most pure blues singers, I suppose.

Most underrated/overlooked these days is probably The Kinks.
Always thought Ronnie Wood was more of a force to be reckoned with when he was with Stewart & The Faces. Never thought he was as good as Mick Taylor was in the Stones. Wood fit in better with the Stones' image but he was never in the same class as Taylor as far as his gtr playing. This is all based on memory as I haven't listened to the Stones in DECADES!;)
I would like to know who the people who feel that the stones and springsteen don't belong in the ROCK AND ROLL hall of fame feel should be there. You are taking issue with two of the most influential live and recorded artists of all time.
Re Stones, I'm actually a big fan of A Bigger Bang, their last studio album, especially the big time tracks Rough Justice and Let Me Down Slow.