What do you mean you “heard” the turntable

I don’t get it. Maybe I just don’t have the biological tool set, but I read all the time how someone heard this turntable or that turntable and they comment on how much better or worse it sounded than some other TT, presumably their own or one they are very familiar with. 

Thing is, they are most likely hearing this set up on a completely different system in a completely different environment. So how can they claim it was the TT that made the difference?  The way “synergy“ is espoused around here how can anybody be confident at all considering how interdependent system interactions are. 

Can someone illuminate me?
last_lemming
I think you're absolutely right. All that's missing is the system/room that made a difference.

If I would dare to say this I would say ''they are pretending'' to

hear whatever differences . But I don't dare.

What I’ve "heard" in comparing tables and arms in my system, using the same cartridge, was artifacts that went missing on the better set up. For example, when I went from a Kuzma Reference and Triplanar to the Kuzma XL and Airline, there was less of a ’halo’ and sense of a turntable spinning as the source of the sound. I didn’t appreciate that artifact was there until it was absent. Does that make sense?
Similarly, when I changed platter weights, from the factory screw down clamp to the Stillpoints some years ago, at first I thought the Stillpoints robbed the bass from the system, but after adjusting the woofers and tweaking the gain, it was pretty obvious that the factory clamp was adding something- a bump in the mid bass that gave the sound a more propulsive aspect; without it, and the Stillpoints in place (after adjusting other things mentioned), the Stillpoints made everything a little more relaxed, less frenetic. I prefer that.
These things weren’t something I had to strain to hear- they were apparent.
The difficulty in my estimation is getting the tables/arms, etc. in one system and being able to compare them directly without other variables.