Cartridge new or used ?

How do I know if a cartridge is new or used and number of hours played ? 1- If it is bought from an individual or 2- Could it be that a HiFi store sells used or a "Demo" without anyone knowing it? 3- Is a cartridge that remains on the shelf of the store for 3 or 4 years, retains its same performance or its internal parts, can harden and lose their flexibility of reading? 4- Is it easy with a magnifying glass to see the wear of a cartridge, if so what would be the best magnification to use?
audiosens
What is it with all the wet necks and used cartridges!
Use your head and common sense when shopping and you will be fine. Remember that one, common sense, that's right the least common of all senses nowadays it seems!
I have bought and sold many used cartridges here and on eBay.
There still are a LOT of very honest people in this hobby.
How else is one to try and acquire and use some of the better vintage mm carts apart from taking the plunge and buying used?

If you do not want to take a chance personally that's fine but do NOT denigrate the process as a whole!
There are many dishonest people on fleabay and you have no way of telling before you commit to purchasing, because fleabay protects its insider club sellers by doctoring the feedback info that’s published. 
Why would you go vintage when brand-new, I’m-abused Audio-Technica Micro-Line cartridges are available everywhere at reasonable prices? (Thanks Chakster) I prefer a known commodity, and it’s worked out superbly with my VM540ML cartridges. Heck, I even use a VM540ML stylus on my VM610 mono cartridge. You just can’t go wrong with them. 
Sleepwalker
You definitely have some deep rooted trust issues. And your comments about doctored feedback is highly amusing.
But to each their own, I have no problem with anybody who prefers to go the route you advocate but please do not harbour malice to those who DO decide to buy used and save a fortune potentially.
One of my friends just bought a Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum for approx 17% of new retail.......