Turntables

I am kicking the idea of trying out vinyl. It’s been a long time since I had a turntable and it took a lot of thought whether I can deal with what always seemed like the snap, crackle & pops of an album. Anyway, I’ve decided to take a plunge after all the buzz how awesome it is. Of course before I make any final decisions, I always turn to the Audiogon community for their expert thoughts, opinions and education. I’m also looking for suggestions for a nice affordable table with tone arm and cartridge. Being the fact this is new to me and I may hate it, I’m looking for suggestions on the best affordable set up I can do for a new or used in the price range of $1000/$1500. I’m sure I can get a better bang for the buck going used. I just don’t know anything about these animals. My system is older but I still enjoy it which consist of a Mark Levinson 23.5 amp, Proceed AVP 2+6 used for 2 channel audio, Audio Acoustics model 9 speakers, Ayre DAC for digital with Transparent Audio Ultra mm2 cables. Any input is greatly appreciated!
128x128luvrockin
Hi
Wow! Advice is all over the place with regard your question! Looks like MANY did not read the post where you said you bought a table and cartridge. I don’t know anything about either of choices. 
Here’s my advice, having nothing to do with what you chose and having everything to do with set-up. Go to sound-smith.com and watch his YouTube videos and read articles by Peter Ledermann from S-S. He speaks to turntable set-up and the importance of correct Vertical Tracking Angle, Rake Angle, arm/cart resonance interface, and tracking force all of which are CRITICAL to get the best from your new/used equipment.
You stated that you wanted to buy less-fussy equipment for your first new foray.  I think that would have been a poor choice, as others said here.  I’m glad you bought an adjustable TT and new cart- good way to go. 
(Aside: I don’t think the phono step-up you bought is equivalent to your amplifier quality however, as it is important to revealing the resolution that I’m sure you are accustomed to with your front end.)
Seriously look at the resonance of your arm/cartridge choice.
I had purchased a turntable with a low compliance arm and a low resonance MC cart available “everywhere” as a “combo” with Pro-ject RPM3 and Blue Point No. 3.  It wasn’t for me! (for sale on eBay right now)  I’m running an RPM 10.1 and ancient Grace F9e (purchased by me in 1984- retapped). It has a stiff arm and super-high resonance cart. (you can hear the third violinist shift his feet. LOL).  You can go the other way too, with a compliant arm and a low compliance cartridge. 

Look to the vinylengine forum for an evaluator. It’s very rough though. 

This from Ortofon: (much more  accurate formula)

“Resonance frequency can be calculated by using the formula 
f = 1000 : (2 x π x √ (M x C)) where:
f - Cartridge resonance frequency in Hz
π - 3.14159265359...
C - Cartridge compliance lateral in µm/mN
M - Total tonearm system mass which is a sum of Mass of cartridge, Mass of headshell and screws and effective mass of tone arm (all values in gram).

• Resonance frequency within 7-12Hz is optimal for the system. 
• Resonance frequency slightly outside optimal interval 6,5-7Hz and 12-14Hz can be considered as a possible that probably can be used without problems.
• Resonance frequency outside the interval 6,5-7Hz and 12-14Hz is questionable, and the system might not work properly.”

Take the time to set it up, or find a local dealer or friend to help. If you purchase the correct arm/cart combination, and set it up correctly you will not be disappointed!

Best to you. Happy New Year!

Bentunderground

Got my rega RP6 TT, cart and rega FONO MM today and am going to set it up a bit later. Thank you got all the great information as I knew I could count on this AG forum for excellent info. I am looking forward to hearing it on my system. I heard it on the sellers system which was amazing and also a top notch guy. So far, great experience!
Good for you luvrockin. I thought about swapping my Ortofon 2M blue cart for one of the Rega carts. I haven't decided on what to replace it with though. Any advice AG members?
My experience with getting back into vinyl has been frustrating thus far. I've had top notch digital setup for many years, wanted to get vinyl setup that would be on or near equal footing.I've had perhaps five or six different systems over the past number of years, everyone couldn't compete with the digital setup. Lack of resolution relative to the digital was the major defect that doomed every attempt. Total system price ranged from $1300 to 10K (exclusive of all accessories). Initially, the novelty had me playing vinyl on a regular basis. Over time I would find myself playing vinyl so infrequently I couldn't justify keeping the equipment.Setup was not the culprit either. I've had a number of protractors, I understand VTA, azimuth and every other parameter that affects performance. Top notch cabling, custom TT stand, every i dotted and t crossed.So, now we come to my latest attempt, soon to be up and running. Technics SP10 Mk.II and SH10E, both completely refurbished. Modwright SWP 9.0 SE, Jelco TK850L with dynamic VTA adjustment mod, custom plinth, start off with Denon 103R (other cartridges to follow if not satisfied).So, the deep dark spending hole of vinyl continues. If I didn't have over 2500 albums I would have quit this pursuit some time ago. To reiterate, I find vinyl far more frustrating than digital at getting satisfying levels of resolution. Vinyl does have some outstanding sound qualities, highest resolution very difficult to get to. Have to add macro dynamics as well.