Bright or Dim?

Have you ever noticed that when listening to music in your listening area that music seems to sound better with the lights down? To me there is a rather noticeable difference. Could be just in my mind because that's how I like to listen, or is it something more biological/scientific than that?  Could it be that the lessoning of one sense enhances the other? Maybe it's just me. Anyway I thought I would see if anyone else has the same experience. Im sure if there is an actual reason for this phenomena, that someone on this forum will have the answer :) 
barnettk
I found out that listening in the dark allowed me not only to 'see' the soundstage better, but to also concentrate on the music.
Bob
@gdnrbob 
“I found out that listening in the dark allowed me not only to 'see' the soundstage better, but to also concentrate on the music.”

Bob Sometimes I listen with only the lights of the gear on and that is a very pleasant listening experience. However I don’t listen to records that way. I will play my reel to reel in almost darkness tho. 

I have various lighting in my room. I have 3 of the tall paper shade lights I got from Ikea that have dimmers on the cords. These seem to be much quieter than the dimmers I have on the wall switches. With these lights I can get the room just perfect and I can also still see how to Change records etc. for streaming, CDs and tapes I do like to listen in almost darkness. My Mckintosh meters also add nice atmosphere as they are quite brite in a dark room.