Ultimate DIY speaker design?

Hey everyone,

I've got the bug to build a set of DIY speakers, I havent built a set in years.

Is there an ultimate design out there that anyone can recomment?

I saw the WATT Puppy designs out there but I am wondering what else I might consider trying.

Note, I definitely dont want a kit, I wouldn't mind doing a custom design I come up with myself but I would ideally like to try a clone of something with top pedigree.

Thanks in advance!
idfnl
Second the Linkwitz Lab Orion+. Hands down winner not just for DIY, but compared to any commercial speaker. (BTW it's Seigfried Linktwitz)
You might consider John Kreskovsky's NaO. I built the NaO IIt. A really great, DYNAMIC dipole!

I had a fellow over that built the Orion. He told me they were very similar. A little easier build, IMHO.

For less money, the NaO mini would be nice.
Wow; it's a good thing I previewed my message before I hit submit. :-)

Yes, it's Siegfried not Sidney (how did I come up with that one?)

And the HTGuide website is at http://www.htguide.com/forum/forumdisplay.php4?f=6.

Russ
Russ: I *did* preview . . , and still spelled it wrong . . , who's LinkTwitz?
1. Linkwitz Orion+ (or ++). Believed by many to be the best speaker price no object provided you can live with the placement (really no different than a box speaker, although getting too close to the front wall is worse for bass and side wall less damaging) and output level constraints. Should be relatively easy to have a listen (try the http://orion.quicksytes.com user's group "seeking auditions thread). I love mine and haven't heard anything else more realistic.

2. Gedlee Nathan/Abbey + distributed bass. Earls designs are the only speakers a couple Orion owners have felt to be better. The physics make sense - more directivity will farther reduce room interactions and there's a lot more head room. After building favorite honey's recording booth I'll try the wave guide + large midrange crossed with matching -6dB angles.