anyone using piega speakers?

I just pulled the trigger on a pair of tc 50`s. I`ve not herd nor seen them. Not the smartest thing to do, I know,but they were calling my name. I will be using them in the bedroom with a manley stingray and a MD nu vista cdp. I think the tubes and the ribbons should sound sweet. These are odd speakers-check them out if you have not seen them. They make the case from a single piece of al in the Audi factory. Anyone the has these speaker, please comment-good or bad. Thanks
lofimike
I bought my P-10s 18 months ago and completely stopped looking at other speakers. After owning 17 different pairs of speakers in the last 10 years, I guess you could say I was "searching" for something and not finding it. The Piegas aren't perfect, what is? But every time I listen to them I find myself wondering what more I could ask for.

As for the brightness, I am using them with Canary Audio tube monoblocks. But I also ran them briefly with a Plinius SA-102. While I ultimately like them better with tubes, the SS Plinius did NOT make the Piegas sound anything like some of the other comments in this thread. I consider them wonderful speakers that are a huge bargain on the used market.

Shakey
Richards, you nailed it about Spudco.

>I'm currently listening to Piega C-40s. The break in was lengthy and they need lots of current to really fill a large room, but the sound is really something special. I have never been a ribbon fan, but these are very smooth with incredible detail.

French horn on Fanfare for a common man was in the room. Tower of Power was really rocking the house with completely clear horns and percussion. The percussion on American Beauty Score floated thought the room and the bass was haunting, deep and full. As a former player, I'm very snooty about piano and these are the best speakers for the wide range of overtones and dynamics I've ever heard. A Hammond never sounded better unless I was sitting at it. The bass on Lou Reed's Paranoia in E was full, deep and crisp. Never boomy in my room (32 X 18 with high ceilings). Guitars ring like you are in the studio. These are so good, I'm even listening to some classical just to here the strings!

The cabinets are also beautiful. You should really try to give these an audition.<

Reads like a fickle lover BEFORE the romance turns sour. Bad grapes indeed.........

Shakey
I am ready to admit that I was impressed with the Piegas early on. On about 15 of my 2,500 disks, they sounded good. Like many new owners, I wanted to believe I had found a great speaker. I realise that I was blinded by my need to feel that my hard earned dollars were well spent. The bottom line is that the Piegas were like a airheaded hot babe with a topside beef-up...fun for a short time, but no staying power. Good for a thrill, but not worth my time.

The fact that I sold them as new for 20% of what I paid should emperically demonstrate how little I liked them. I felt lucky to be rid of them - it took many months to sell them.

The truth is that my Piega based system was so bad that I gave up listening to music for many months. I just couldn't reconcile how easily I had bought into a hugely expensive system and how little I enjoyed it.

Now I can enjoy music again. I can easliy listen to most of my collection without cringing at the recording.

Of course, everyone is free to make up their own mind.
Spudco
Fair enough. Tastes are different, as is hearing, among the audiophile community. I think what was reacted to was the inflammatory way you expressed your feelings. Obviously many folks are moved by and connect with the sound of the Piegas. It wasn't your cup-of-tea. No problem.

I like my Piegas way better than the Dunlavy Athenas I owned a while back. But I won't disparage them, as I know some really like them. We audiophiles seem to keep moving on till we find what we like. If we can be respectful and civil with our personal experiences, we can help each other in this quest.
I hated them. I owned the C10 ltd and couldn't wait to sell them. Some of the worse speakers I have ever owned. They also have a very inflated retial price IMO. There's a reason why they are so discounted on audiogon. I figured that out the hard way.