Turntable got absolutely crushed by CD

Long story short, i've just brought home a VPI classic 1 mounted with a Zu-Denon DL103 on JMW Memorial 10.5 with the appropriate heavier counterweight. Had everything dialed in..perfect azimuth, VTF, overhang, with only a slightly higher than perfect VTA. Levelling checked. All good. 

I did a comparison between the VPI and my Esoteric X03SE and it's not even close. The Esoteric completely crushes the VPI in all regards. The level of treble refinement, air, decay, soundstage depth and width, seperation, tonality, overall coherence is just a simply a league above from what I'm hearing from the VPI. The only area the VPI seems to be better at is bass weight, but not by much. 

I'm honestly quite dumbfounded here. I've always believed that analogue should be superior to digital. I know the Esoteric is a much pricier item but the VPI classic is supposed to be a very good turntable and shouldn't be a slouch either. At this point I feel like I should give up on analogue playback and invest further in digital. 

Has anyone had a similar experience comparing the best of digital to a very good analogue setup?

Equipment:
Esoteric X03SE 
VPI Classic, JMW Memorial 10.5, Zu-DL103
Accuphase C200L
Accuphase P600
AR 90 speakers

Test Record/CD:
Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing (Redbook vs MOV 180g reissue)

chadsort
As others have said, get a really good cartridge.  Yours is not.  In the meanwhile, check your arm mounting geometrics.
Prof

1:19
well put.

1:52
i totally disagree. Commercially available CDs and other digital formats, due to corporate imperatives (profit) are by design not equal to analog.  

I’m not saying digital can’t get there. I understand Neil Young is trying. But it’s not there now.
Roberjerman,

With tegard to the popularuty if the Denon cartridge, warning: I’m about to be totally crass and utterly tasteless here, if you can’t tolerate it don’t read further. 

Hitler won an election. If he was so popular, how could he be so bad? 
i totally disagree. Commercially available CDs and other digital formats, due to corporate imperatives (profit) are by design not equal to analog.  
This above is an opinion though stated as if it were a fact.
Hitler won an election. If he was so popular, how could he be so bad?
The only election Hitler ran in, he lost.   He bullied himself to power in the Nazi party...he then forced the government to give him "emergency" power as head of the government...which lead to dictatorship, war and the total destruction of Germany.  He was popular with the poor because he promised utopia....but never delivered.

dynaquest4, you are correct. 

But he was popular: my point being that popularity does not necessarily align itself with quality. 

Promised utopia and not delivering: sounds like that someone who is currently draining the swamp... and replacing it with a cesspool. But I digress.