Opinions on Full-Range/single driver speakers

I am considering a DIY project to build a pair of single driver speakers. My current idea is to put Jordan JX9s into Transmission line cabinets. I am a competent woodworker and there are lots of plans on the internet.

I do really value the opinions of you audiogon members out there with lots of listening experience so I am curious what your opinions are on single driver speakers. If you can also comment on wide-baffle versus narrow baffle designs, that would be helpful.

My front end is a Monarchy tube DAC 25 with Matsushista tubes and DIP Classic, coupled to an AYRE DX7E, all interconnects and cables are DIY magnet wire. I am currently using Green Mountain Europa's and a modified Paradigm subwoofer.

After enjoying GMA's and experiencing time/phase coherent sound, I started looking at other options for coherent systems. It seems the simplest design is a good full range driver (no whiffle cone) in a TL or QWL cabinet.

So your opinions are appreciated. I would prefer if you did not advise me to purchase your favorite speaker as that is not the type of information I am seeking.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Drew.
drewh1
Listiac - IMO, it may not be as much about the speaker as the system/room it is place in and the taste of the listener. Just today, a friend of mine was selling a certain speaker because they were too bass-heavy and muddy for his room and system. If asked, he would say he didn't like them because they lacked definition and clarity. I tried them in my room and system and they sounded thin and lacking in midbass - and I am by no means a bass freak. I'm talking about the proper resonance of the acoustic guitar body and such, as opposed to synth bass or whatever. So, if asked, I would describe the same speaker as "thin and lacking in midbass".

In reality, I think all opinions should be prefaced by "In my room, with my system and with the recordings I played, my opinion of this speaker is ..." However, audiophiles love to couch things in absolutes - this speaker has these flaws and that speaker has those flaws" You just can't do it that way.

And that's how it happens, IMO.
I think you should consider your source of information maybe some is biased to what 1 sells. Since I dont offer any of the drivers I suggested in my last post. Maybe bias to what 1 sells is the issue.
Hi, Chayro,
I believe you're right about the room. Steinway in New York makes (among others) five grand pianos, the model S, M, L, B and D in order of increasing size. They're all top quality, but are made for specific sized rooms. At Ithaca College, where I study piano performance, we have large Steinways (model B - 6'10") in one small practice room, but they don't sound their best. When I practice, I always try to get a Model M, which sounds great in the small room.
Thanks for your help!
Listiac
I just installed the AN Super 8 Cast Frames in a pair of BLHs of Nagaoka design built by Johnk, which had a pair of Fostex fe206 Es-r's originally. Price was a consideration since the ANs are about half the cost of the 208 Sigma's I'd have to install today as the 206 Es-r's aren't readily available anymore.
This is not a fair comparison between the two, as the 206 Es-r's were fully broken-in when I got them vs the ANs being brand new and unbroken. On the whole, both are very detailed, w/plenty of bass on the BLHs. The 206 sounded a bit more refined than the ANs, but then I figure that the ANs will probably get smoother as well after several hundred hours of playing time.
Where the ANs felt better in my system was in the soundstage and instruments and voices positioning. The ANs seem less directional and more 3D'ish. On the whole I am pleased with what I hear out of the box, especially for their price, and get the feeling (and hope) that things will get better w/time. Very efficient w/just 2W, with plenty of volume and substance.
I'm using a Korneff 45 Sei for amp, and Regas for CD and table.
Thank you David Dicks for a good value on the drivers and to Johnk for a superior cabinet to house them.
Whew! The lengths we grown men go to, defending our passionate beliefs!
I have a pair of blh fostex 166's, my friend made the 206 model (sachikos), and we both prefer the 166's, funny , in the workshop the 206's KILLED the little 166's... But I guess those high ceilings and vast space had much to do with it.
I've just recently heard some tannoy 15" speakers and, wow.
I'm thinking I may chuck a pair of AN 6.5 alnicos into my blh cabs (hiro design @ frugal horn site) and see if I like what they do for me.
I will report my findings.