Opinions on Full-Range/single driver speakers

I am considering a DIY project to build a pair of single driver speakers. My current idea is to put Jordan JX9s into Transmission line cabinets. I am a competent woodworker and there are lots of plans on the internet.

I do really value the opinions of you audiogon members out there with lots of listening experience so I am curious what your opinions are on single driver speakers. If you can also comment on wide-baffle versus narrow baffle designs, that would be helpful.

My front end is a Monarchy tube DAC 25 with Matsushista tubes and DIP Classic, coupled to an AYRE DX7E, all interconnects and cables are DIY magnet wire. I am currently using Green Mountain Europa's and a modified Paradigm subwoofer.

After enjoying GMA's and experiencing time/phase coherent sound, I started looking at other options for coherent systems. It seems the simplest design is a good full range driver (no whiffle cone) in a TL or QWL cabinet.

So your opinions are appreciated. I would prefer if you did not advise me to purchase your favorite speaker as that is not the type of information I am seeking.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Drew.
drewh1
Johnny

It seems that the f200's are hard to find. Any ideas where one would locate a pair? Also, what would be your opinion for recommended enclosure parameters? I hope you dont mind me picking your expert brain? Also, you mentioned the SEAS is better? What do the SEAS sell for? I have seen the f200's going for approx. 500 each.

Spiro

Or Apequark as you prefer.
I would have suggested looking at Madisound, but it looks as though their sold out. The last time I checked on the SEAS they were around $1500 a pair.

I concur with the statements about the F200a drivers. I've been listening to mine for roughly 4 yrs now. They've been here longer than any other speaker. You may find a driver with better highs, but the mid-range and bass of these drivers will be hard to beat!
You still should beable to order f200a from madisound. They have become popular again maybe I shouldnt talk them up so online;) I would suggest a 90 liter BR or TL. f120a is also a great little driver but best for near field or use as midrange. fe138esr while one can get great sound are hard to use so if you have built designed before its worth a try. SEAS X-1 prices are lower now check madisound I use a sealed birch ply cabinet very over built design, madisound offers a cab for x-1 its a MDF ported floorstander nmade in china. Sorry thought it was apequark. Not known for my gifts with the wrighten word. I will remeber its aptquark.
Wonderful Electric you came to this conclusion after only hearing 1 pair of fullranges? And that one only used a wee driver and greatly over priced? Keep in mind many dont suffer so from the problems you list. The wee little wide bands dont have the range,dynamic range, mag power or cone area of the drivers were talking about. The f200a, SEAS X-1 do not need horn cabinets to produce bass so your reply[bass loading usually messes up the otherwise perfect impulse response] isnt a issue and they are in phase and a 4in will not do bass no mater what. Treble can be a problem the x1 and fostex do well but not as good as a raal or t500amk2 covering the same range. But you do win in intergration and point source, phase and time correct. No perfect transducer or loudspeaker since all are made by humans. We as designers work with compromises to bring the best sound we can for price range. Fullranges can make a wonderful loudspeaker but since only 1 driver cheaping out anywhere will be highly audible. But I find this to be true with most loudspeaker designs.