Opinions on Full-Range/single driver speakers

I am considering a DIY project to build a pair of single driver speakers. My current idea is to put Jordan JX9s into Transmission line cabinets. I am a competent woodworker and there are lots of plans on the internet.

I do really value the opinions of you audiogon members out there with lots of listening experience so I am curious what your opinions are on single driver speakers. If you can also comment on wide-baffle versus narrow baffle designs, that would be helpful.

My front end is a Monarchy tube DAC 25 with Matsushista tubes and DIP Classic, coupled to an AYRE DX7E, all interconnects and cables are DIY magnet wire. I am currently using Green Mountain Europa's and a modified Paradigm subwoofer.

After enjoying GMA's and experiencing time/phase coherent sound, I started looking at other options for coherent systems. It seems the simplest design is a good full range driver (no whiffle cone) in a TL or QWL cabinet.

So your opinions are appreciated. I would prefer if you did not advise me to purchase your favorite speaker as that is not the type of information I am seeking.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Drew.
drewh1
As mentioned above, say goodbye to the extreme frequencies. I also found that they fall apart during fast music. Also as mentioned above, you should check out Tannoy.
I really like the MLTLs(mass loaded transmission line)
Single drivers. On top of that the Baffle step correction
circuit used in the Brine's single drivers makes a positive
difference! It gives the speaker a very smooth character, no
shout or honkiness.

I've owned a pair of GMA's and loved them. I know of one
other Audiogon member who moved from GMA's to Brine's Single
drivers as well. I still think the GMA's are some of the
most well designed speakers out there!

If you like a lot of hi end shimmer, you'll need to add a
tweeter depending on the driver and the age of your ears. As
far as bass goes though,
not all single driver speakers are designed equally. My FTA-
2000s with one 8 inch go into the mid 20 hz range with very
tight and tuneful bass. Once you hear transmission line bass
done right you'll understand.

As mentioned above most won't play at extreme high SPLs. if
you like your music loud. I mean above 100dB or so then look
else where.

I would advise you to listen to as many variations as you
can find in your area, before you drop any funds in the
project. That way you'll know for sure that a single driver
will fit your needs.
so many drivers, so little time . . .

This is what I hear:

1. Full range speakers are certainly not for everyone or all types of music.
2. they can be optimized for a certain frequency range but will not perform well at both high frequency and low frequency ranges? since my ears are older and I have played music my whole life (with a long stretch in VERY loud rock bands) my high frequency hearing is not that much of an issue!
3. Finding the right driver might be difficult as there are a lot of choices!

Duke - the Supravox looks great but like the php might be out of my price range for a DIY project.

Gmood - you gave me some great advice - Listen!
are there any single driver fans in the bay area who would be willing to share the sound of their favorite speakers with me?

Also the Brine's site is helpful along with his Yahoo group postings.

Thanks all, please keep the opinions coming!

drew.
Drew, one of my very best friends walked away from a career in a rock band to become a woodworker.

My first commercial model was an "augmented fullrange"; that is, I used a Fostex fullrange driver in a sealed box with a built-in subwoofer to help below 100 Hz and a supertweeter to help in the top octave.

Anyway, my suggestion for a less expensive alternative to uberdrivers like the Supravox and PHY would be the alnico magnet Fostex F200A, imported by Madisound.

Duke
you should talk with single driver guru Mr. Steve Deckert
He'll tell you what you need to hear & not necessarily what you'd like to hear. One of my conversations with Steve he actually recommended a competitors' product vs his own, based, upon the application I intended. You can't get any less biased than that. Call Steve - he's THE man.
decware.com