Opinions on Full-Range/single driver speakers

I am considering a DIY project to build a pair of single driver speakers. My current idea is to put Jordan JX9s into Transmission line cabinets. I am a competent woodworker and there are lots of plans on the internet.

I do really value the opinions of you audiogon members out there with lots of listening experience so I am curious what your opinions are on single driver speakers. If you can also comment on wide-baffle versus narrow baffle designs, that would be helpful.

My front end is a Monarchy tube DAC 25 with Matsushista tubes and DIP Classic, coupled to an AYRE DX7E, all interconnects and cables are DIY magnet wire. I am currently using Green Mountain Europa's and a modified Paradigm subwoofer.

After enjoying GMA's and experiencing time/phase coherent sound, I started looking at other options for coherent systems. It seems the simplest design is a good full range driver (no whiffle cone) in a TL or QWL cabinet.

So your opinions are appreciated. I would prefer if you did not advise me to purchase your favorite speaker as that is not the type of information I am seeking.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Drew.
drewh1
"So your opinions are appreciated. I would prefer if you did not advise me to purchase your favorite speaker as that is not the type of information I am seeking."

Just how do you expect a bunch of opinionated audiophiles to give you an opinion! What a question! LOL!
Theory good, result bad. My opinion in a nutshell. I used Jordan Watts back in the 60s, a friend who is a cabinetmaker was so impressed he became the importer for a while. The midrange is quite good but the frequency extremes are not there. If you are willing to tolerate their weaknesses go ahead. Narrow is better although some very good speakers are wide. HFN had a test in the last few years of the Jordans I think, I will check.
When you try to play 4th octave notes on the bass sax, you'll know more precise answer... Theoretically possible isn't it?
"So your opinions are appreciated."

"I would prefer if you did not advise me to purchase your favorite speaker as that is not the type of information I am seeking."

So you want my opinion, but don't want to know what my favorite fullrange drivers are?

Duke
dealer/manufacturer/nope I don't sell any fullrange speakers
The driver must be a Tannoy. No one does signle driver better. My first speaker was a 15" single driver Tannoy, don't remember the model number but do remeber the sound which was great. Cabinet was front ported. Tannoy has come a long way from the early sixties when I had mine. Tannoy has limited distribution in the USA but I sugggest you seek out the line and find the driver. It is quite easy to order the part in the UK and save a ton of money. Final point on single driver. A few year ago I got to know one of the sound mastering engr. that does sony work in NYC. I visited his house and was surprised to find his home speaker was a single driver Radio Shack unit in a cabinet he designed and built himself. Sound was fantastic.