Thinking about a new, lower end CD Player

My current CD player is a basic, older Sony, probably 10-12 years old. Works fine but I could use it in another location with a lower end system. It seems to sound about as good as my Arcam CD92 that lost its DAC a while back.

So now thinking about buying a new CDP and have a couple of questions.

I’d like to keep this in the $300-500 range for units with internal DAC. Not looking for SACD player. Other than a remote, not looking for special features or multi disk players.

I’m guessing that in this price range SQ is probably comparable to other units in that range.

First, is a CDP in this price range going to sound any better than the old Sony?
Second, if not, is there any reason not to just buy a comparable $200 unit?
Third, for units in this price range ($300-500) is there any reason to look for one with balanced output capability and if so, is there any way to know if it is truly balanced.

Thanks all,

George

n80
Jl35

I really do not think it matters too much on the Walkman/Discman as we called them,in England.

I think GK prefers just the Sony and Panasonic models.
I actually have no idea what model mine is, never looked so maybe GK coukd answer for more specifics
uberwaltz
I do hate to utter these words(lol) but.....
GK does have a good point on the Sony Walkman,I use one in my second system that GK was kind enough to gift to me for the price of shipping.

It actually sounds pretty darn good, very neutral and natural , no remote though! Lol.
It is not a terrible idea.......

jl352
any particular model recommended ?

>>>>By and large all Sony Walkmans sound very good. There are others that sound good, too. It’s easier to find Sony Walkmen. They are also reliable and tend not to go belly up like some lesser brands. I modify my Walkman CD players to a certain extent. The cassette Walkman I’m using is one of those robust yellow Sports Walkman models. I am currently using the made in Japan Panasonic MASH CD player as my main player. For the CD player I am using a Perfect Path eCard, some PBW Tweaks, 2 Hz isolation, Graphene contact enhancer for batteries, and a few other tricks I have up my sleeve. Another eCard for the cassette player and Graphened batteries. I sell these modded players, full disclosure,

Geoff Kait
Machina Dynamica
Advanced Audio Concepts
we do artificial atoms right
I did treat the battery terminals and the aux to RCA cable ends with TC paste as well but have not placed an ecard under it, yet!