Surround pre quality

I am expecting the new Oppo BDP-83 soon. I plan on using the dvd player for processing the audio and the analog outputs into a receiver or processor. If I am not using one of these for the processing does the quality of the unit make that much difference? I have a Rotel RSX-1055 receiver that has 5.1 inputs would that sound close to a Rotel 968 Lexicon, MC4 or Krell Soundstage? I won't be using the internal amps of the receiver. I also don't care about the 2-channel performance, I have a separate pre for that.
Thanks
Jeff
jdodmead
Well, do you think that all preamps sound the same, regardless of design, price or source? If so, it makes no difference what you choose.

Does the Rotel sound like your analog 2 channel preamp?

Kal
Thanks Kal, I figured I knew the answer, I'm trying to decide what to do. I have a Meridian 561, which I love, but it doesn't have 5.1 inputs.
If you do not need video processing and all the bass/channel/levels can be done in the player, consider an all analog mch preamp for this. There are many that I have reviewed. I am currently using the very reasonably priced Parasound P7.

Kal
Kal,
I do not need any video processing, but I do need some digital processing for movies broadcasted or from Direct TV. So I do need a unit that is decent for analog and digital
Thanks
Jeff
Kal,

I've read your review of P7 with much interest. I was somewhat surprised at the favorable review as your recent focus was on HDMI based processors and the use of room correction. And I thought you were rather dismissive of analog preamps for MCH music. What happened? Are MCH preamps making a comeback? Is there any room for MCH analog preamps in the market when HT is dominated by HDMI processors and most audiophiles have not embraced MCH? More importantly, how does the sound through P7 compare against HDMI processors with room correction engaged?