Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
@holco Your PCBs look a bit different than mine in that you have different brand caps. Mine are CYCs other than the Clarity SAs in the coax feed; yours might be Solen? Regardless, your cap quality looks superior to mine other than those Claritys. My CYCs are MKTs whereas your caps are labelled as MPTs. Also, the coils appear to be higher quality in that they are more tightly wound. Finally, the board itself doesn’t appear to have any labels.
Here is the backstory on the coils. When I upgraded my resistors, I noticed the PCB had the parts’ values printed on the boards. I wrote to Tom Thiel:

I forgot to mention an interesting artifact I noticed when I replaced the resistors yesterday. The PCBs have all values labeled. On the woofer board, instead of inductor values 0.72, 0.3 and 0.06 mH per schematic and layout, it has 0.65, 0.22, and 0.06. On the coax board, instead of 6 and 0.15, it has 5.78 and 0.13

Tom investigated this and discovered the PCBs were sourced from FST whereas Thiel traditionally made everything in house using point-to-point. Apparently, the modified values are to compensate for the PCB environment. But maybe it’s even more complicated given that you have a different generation PCB than me? My SEs are among the last built. The seller claimed they were built in 2012. I’m guessing your 2.4s are older. Perhaps Tom can add his thoughts about your coil values.
My rebuild will be point-to-point on Masonite and I’m going to use the coil values as indicated on the layout and schematic (I plan to build completely new boards other than I will reuse the MRA-12s). If you are keeping your PCB, you might need to use the modified coil values if upgrading.

pwhinson

I had purchased only the spikes and not the outrigger support stands
from Coherent Source ,
I used the new spikes with the original locking nuts .
Now the spikes penetrate the carpet
The outrigger stands look great but cost to much for me .

Rob
tomthiel - Larry Staples rings a bell.  If he is on this thread then let me say "Hello, Larry" as well.  As to it being a forming experience it was.  I bought the 3.5's as much on that Kentucky experience as the dealer's showroom, since he had pulled the speakers at the time I stumbled across them.  I have also liked Spica's and Vandersteins and so I guess my ears were latently attuned to phase coherence.  At least I believe the lack of same messes up some speakers that should sound better than they do.

Jafant - Glad you enjoyed the story.  I've got a few more audio stories to tell as well, but this is not the thread for those.
Thanks again beetlemania

Hope Tom Thiel can also shed some light on the bass coil.

Br,  Mario
High Performance Stereo has had a pair of CS3.5 with EQ listed on its site forever and a day - $1000 with availability in New York or “along the I95 corridor.”

I have never conducted business with them in the past; reluctant because they rarely tender any useful information regarding their wares, and the accompanying photos - when they post photos - are pretty poor. 

Has anyone here ever had a transaction with them?

Without being able to inspect them - especially the mids - I thinks they be way high at $1000.  I may tender a lowball offer of $500 simply due to the fact that they’ve been listed for so long...

PS:  I have made this offer to anyone here before - if you live within a reasonable distance of my zip 11755, I have a complete pair of 3.5 innards - woofers, tweeters, mids, crossovers, and speaker emblems. 
The mids are kaput - the other drivers worked fine. 
FREE - but only if you pick ‘em up.  I gave away the EQ to a fellow member here earlier this year.  

And a happy Thanksgiving to all