Vandersteen 5

Hi over the weekend I purchased a set up Vandertseen 5's and a McCormack DNA 225. I have a few questions about the 5's and was hoping someone here could help me. I can't seem to get the bass on either speaker on the 5's to work. The mids and the high's sound great.

1.) I've connected the M5-HP high pass filters between my preamp (a rotel RSX-1550) using RCA to XLR cable (the high-pass is XLR) and XLR to the McCormack amp (which was upgraded to platinum and has both XLR and RCA inputs). Is the lack of bass because I'm using a cable to convert RCA to XLR to connect to the M5-HP high pass filters ? I've looked on the vandersteen site and saw opposing answers from Richard. If not that what else could be wrong with the subs? 

2.) would anyone here want to trade a my XLR M5-HP high pass filters for an RCA one? I'm in the bay area

3.) The speakers were missing the spikes. Does anyone the size. I'd like to order a generic set as vandersteen wants 22 per spike. 

4.) Anything else I should know? My prior speskers were 2CE sigs so I jumped when I saw the 5's for sale. 
128x128mzwerner
Randy at optimal in Santa Monica would be a good contact for RCA filters

you need to know with certainty the input impedance the filter sees from your adapter and the amp, I doubt conflicting advice
factory is open today, Nathan knows this stuff in and out
spring for the Vandersteen cones, washers and set them up right....
i hope you realize made in America anodized finish cone with washers and thread at $22 is frugal
enjoy the music not many speakers can do what 5 can imo
As you are on the West Coast, why not contact Vandersteen directly?
If you call in, Mr. V will call you back the following day. Just have all your questions ready, as he can be a bit abrupt.
You can also ask John Rutan (his Audiogon name is audioconnection). PM him and ask away.
Call SMcAudio to find out what the correct impedance for the amp is.
Pat and Steve upgraded my DNA-1 to monoblocks and the new power supplies are in the 33 ohm range, so I, too, wasn’t getting a proper bass output. As the balanced M5’s only go to 20 ohm, you might need to get the RCA version which goes down a bit further. But, I would wait until you get all the details.
Also, your cable might be a source of problem. Rather than use that cable, I would buy a Jensen Transformer to convert the RCA to Balanced. They cost about $250 but will do the job properly.
Bob
I’ve got Model 5’s too and am very happy with them. The advice you have gotten to contact Vandersteen is good, that would be a good second step. First step is to read the manual thouroughly and get yourself very familiar with how Vandersteen wants you to set up the speakers. That will save some embaressing pauses while you are talking to them! If you don’t have a manual they have one for the 5A on the website, it’s essentially the same as the manual for the 5.

I did look up the McCormack DNA 225 and the input impedance (from a Stereophile article) is 100K Ohms. The manual tells you how to set the dip switches in the high pass filters. With respect to using balanced filters with a single ended preamp, the manual doesn’t address this, but I think a single ended filter would be best (mine are balanced so I can’t help on the “trade”). An alternative would be to get a balanced preamp. A balanced preamp has advantages from a noise perspective and there’s a good opportunity for a significant increase in performance! Not sure if there is a McCormack preamp with balanced outputs, but there are plenty of used options at reasonable prices.

One bit of advice on the filters (and the crossovers in the speakers) is they are battery biased. Similar to AudioQuest cables they use a battery to bias the capacitors in the filters. This is a contentious topic for some folks, no need to go on about it here ... Vandersteen uses standard 9 volt batteries which are soldered in place. The batteries they use (Duracell alkaline) are replaced every seven years. Yours could be well past that. Vandersteen marks the date when they do it, if an owner did it themselves hope they marked it too. I will say soldering a wire to a battery terminal is not an easy task. Too much heat will ruin the battery, but you won’t realize it unless you check for 9 volts after you finish the job. I know this from experience! Vandersteen charges $96 for the filters and $189 for the speaker crossovers (three batteries) so keep that in mind.

The spikes use a 1/4-20 thread and are 1-1/2” tall which is optimized for the speakers. Similar to the 2Ce the speakers need to be tilted for optimum tweeter “aiming”. At $22 per spike the cost will be $132, but that’s not much more than a generic spike. You also need fender washers for the rear spike to adjust tilt. A low cost temporary alternative would be a furniture glide. They are a threaded shaft with a round, flat base (instead of a hexagonal head). They can be quite useful when positioning the speakers in your room since moving the speakers is MUCH easier than with spikes. Be careful when putting whatever feet you choose, the speakers weigh a lot and can tip easily. I came very close to dumping mine when changing feet by myself. A second person is highly recommended!

The next big hurdle will be setting the low frequency level controls. There are 11 frequencies that can be a adjusted a slight amount to optimize the low frequencies. Adjusting the controls can take a while and requires at a minimum an analog Radio Shack sound level meter and the Vandertones frequencies found on the Vandersteen website. The manual goes into some detail how to do this, but Richard does say, if you can’t get it right just set the controls at the neutral position.

That’s what I can tell you right now, if you have more questions I will try to check this thread regularly and respond.
Hi everyone thank you for you help. I've read through the 5 manual front and back. 

I'm going to order the spikes from Vandersteen. For now I put the furniture glides on that pmotz suggested.

After speaking with Vandersteen I tested the 5's at low volume without the high-pass (they said ok to do at low volume) and the subs worked.

I spoke with McCormack this morning and they said that the platinum I have the imp is now 10k not 100k so I need to change that. I'll make the change tonight and see if that works. I've ordered the Jensen and waiting for it to arrive (as a temp solution) I'll eventually save up for a better preamp with xlr outs, or get the RCA high-pass. 

I'm still hoping someone see this and wants a balanced M5-HP that they'd be willing to trade for an RCA one. 

The batteries are right on the verge of needing a change and I'll send them in either this week or next. There's no way in hell I'm doing it. i also contacted Performance Audio in SF and they had zero interest in helping me because I didn't buy the speakers from them. Hey at least they were honest about it, but they did lose a future customer. 

Once everything else is squared away I'll started playing with the frequency controls.

I'm sure I'll have a ton of question and I appreciate all the help. Even as is the speakers sound amazing. 

Oh nuts, 10K is really low and I believe the Balanced crossovers only go to 20K ohms. (Oddly, I am in the same situation with my DNA-1's). 
I think you may have to move to either an unbalanced M5-HP in order to get to 5 or 10K ohms.
I would first try the balanced crossover at it's lowest setting and see if it sounds good.
Bob