Tonearms: Ripoff?

If you search for tonearm recommendations you'll find an overwhelming amount of praise for $1k and less products. Audiomods and Jelco are the two most mentioned.

The Audiomods is just some guy making Rega-based tonearms in a workshop. Just some guy is putting out tonearms that compete with tonearms that cost many times the price -- from the likes of SME, Clearaudio, VPI, Graham, etc.

So the question is -- are tonearms just a scam? How is it that everyone loves Audiomods and Jelco to death and never talks about / dismisses high end tonearms? Is it because there's no real difference between one of these low-cost tonearms and the high end ones? Is an Audiomods Series V ** really ** the equivalent of a SME V? Some guy in a workshop equals the famed precision of SME? Is that once you have the math and materials worked out all tonearms are essentially the same? Or is it that most owners of record players online are dumpster-diving for vintage gear and simply can't afford to listen to better?

So, what's going on?
madavid0
Defend them against what? Think about it. Most of these higher-end tonearms are built in relatively small numbers. Many by solo operators or small operations. Someone is staking their livelihood on making something that takes months of testing, months of building and discarding and testing and final completion. Precision instrumentation and micron-level bearing alignment is not cheap. Then it has to be advertised and dealers have to make money and returns have to be compensated and healthcare insurance has to be paid. Now divide all the hours put into that and divide by the number sold. Don’t parade your naiveté as if you were an authority on economics and engineering. By the way, if you want a taste of the "high end" for little money, invest in a Jelco 850 from George Merrill (best price) - it’s the cream of the crop.
Get a cheap tonearm and pretend it sounds as good as my TW 10.5 thats ok with me.Good luck!!
madavid0 OP
So no one wants to defend high end tonearms?
They don’t require any defense. The performance and precision of a high-end arm speaks for itself.
So far the only thing I've seen are recommendations for cheap tonearms. 

@noromance disagreed with me and then proceeded to recommend a Jelco.

So what will a TW, SME, Basis, Graham, etc, give me that a Jelco or Audiomods won't?
So what will a TW, SME, Basis, Graham, etc, give me that a Jelco or Audiomods won't?
Maybe a lot, or maybe nothing.  Your question argues your fundamental understanding of high end audio and audiophiles and sounds more than a little judgmental.  Not everyone wants, needs or can afford a "high end" (aka expensive in your parlance) tonearm.  Those who do or can may be looking for features or adjustability that are not available in less expensive tonearms. 

Cartridge/tonearm/turntable matching is a complex art.  Not every tonearm works best (or at all) with every cartridge and every turntable.  Got a Lenco L75?  If so you are probably not going to try and mount a Thomas Schick tonearm on it.

Let's say that you want to run an Ortofon SPU cartridge.  You can do that on a Jelco (it will work but it's not the best choice, IMO).  But the Audiomods?

No.  I'll use another example: I enjoy the London Decca Super Gold cartridge.  The best cartridge/tonearm combination I have heard is with the Fidelity Research FR-66.  A great tonearm.  Is it worth $3,500+ for a 25+ year old arm?  Not to me, but every one that comes available gets snapped up pretty damned quickly.

Use what works for you and leave us to do the same.  Please.