Have you ever downgraded deliberately?

At the start of my Audiophile journey i had a Marantz PM8004 with a Proton D1200. Klipsch RF-82 Speakers and Marantz CD player. I had entry lv Cardas speaker wire. The system sounded very good and very musical.

If i’m honest i still miss that pre amp - amp combo. At the moment i have 2 Higher Fidelity 138 monoblocks and a black Threshold fet 10HE modded. Wadia 9 classic dac and Wadia transport. Soundwise it’s much better than before. But still i think about that suberb Proton and Marantz. Maybe i’m becoming a bit jaded with the hobby..... I sold Both components with a heavy heart. And wonder what would happen if i downgrade to a similar system (better speakers ofcourse).

I want to hear some downgrade stories of fellow Audiophiles. Why they did it, where they came from system wise. And if they are more happy with a lesser system.

PS
A couple of months ago i heard some Apogees "Duetta sigs" It rocked my world. Because most speakers are ugly, and sound mediocre. This was totally different from a design and sound point of view. It was perfect in my book. Never had that before. I'm trying very hard to scrounge up the $ to obtain it.

My gf also liked the Proton D1200 looks. What if i sell most of my stuff downgrade and Buy that Apogee with the Proton amp and a cool looking CD player? Looks are very important in my living room i guess. Maybe more than audio nirvana

128x128jouri_knegt
I don't think I've "downgraded" my system, but have recently swapped out some more expensive gear for more "basic" components and been very happy with the changes I made.

In my digital system I had a Peachtree Nova 300 integrated that I replaced with a Heed Elixir.  I wasn't using the Peachtree's DAC, headphone amp, phono out or any of the other features like HTBP because I have a good outboard DAC, headphone amp and phono preamp.  The Heed is less expensive, less powerful (60 watts vs 300) and doesn't do anything but control volume and amplify the signal of my sources (well, it does have a decent headphone amp).  The Heed has what I need for my system and to my ears it is more dynamic and detailed and the 60 watts are more than I'll ever need for my Klipsch Heresy speakers.  The Heed integrated also takes up less space.

I did something similar in my office system, replacing a Peachtree Grand X1 integrated with an old Audio Research VSI tube integrated.  I wasn't using all the features of the Peachtree and like the tube sound better, especially with the Klipsch CF-2 speakers I'm using.  Those were also a "downgrade" from the Monitor Audio, Spendor, and Vienna Acoustic speakers I'd moved through there.  I paid $75 for the Klipsch speakers and couldn't be happier with the sound.

Don't get me wrong about the Peachtree units, I liked both units a lot and would recommend either unit if you need all the bells and whistles they offer.  They are great "all in one" solutions.

The changes resulted in better sound (to my ears) and made sense from an overall system standpoint.
I have had many systems over the years, and the one system that I had more enjoyment from was my acurus 150watt amp and Preamp with Martin Logan Areis and Yamaha CD player. After that, I spent so much time and money looking for better audio equipment such as Kef speakers,  Krell amps, totem, moon, and the list goes on. Since I got rid of my first system I never really enjoyed my stereo systems as much as my first. Therefore, I realizeed I was just spending more and chasing my tail without getting that hi-end sound. I have since sold all my audio and regrouped.
I decided to purchase a Parasound sound A21 amp and Preamp vandersteen model 2 sig’s and a ML sub, and I must say I am back to enjoying my music so much more! Not once have I regretted this setup. The moral of the story is that there is so much “Better” sounding audio available at much more reasonable prices in today’s market. 
Yes I have having owned a Audio store until 07.
and systems $$$. My quest for the last 10 years has been to get the best sound for the least amount of monies spent. Very challenging ,but very rewarding. I do a lot of modding this alone 
adds a minimum of 25% in sound quality vs a stock speaker or amp at 1/2 the cost . Many times the big name companies feed on at least 20% markup based on their name .a lot of quality Chinese gear is 
finally showing its value. I own A Digital integrated amp custom built and designed in Denmark Gato Audio that have much lower noise vs a class AB amp And sounds better then most class AB amps and sound excellent.
unless you have $$ to spend on a Big class A or AB amp.Digital music as well as amplification  has been closing the gap .Jeff Roland,   Mark Levinson,Rogue , Bell Canto , and several others have been doing great things with digital . Shoot for Value that is my goal ,as long as it sounds Very good.
Unless you need money or move and no longer have space - why?
I don't care about value, I care about good sound. Best value is the best sound you can afford.