Zerostat Milty really?

Ok. So I have massive amounts of static at times when playing vinyl. So much so that it can pull my arm from my table (Thorens TD-124) onto the platter when removing the lp. I am worried I will ruin my stylus when it hits. So I bought the Zerostat and have been using it according to the instructions and the static is still out of control. Is this thing for real or what? Am I doing something wrong? Please help. 
fromunda
Do you know how to use the Xerostat?  If you are not using it correctly, it won't work at all.  There are detailed descriptions of its proper use in these archives or on Vinyl Asylum, or elsewhere on the internet.  It would be a good idea to read those, even if you think you know what you are doing.

Also, as others have hinted, a lot of static is created by "us", based on what we are wearing on our feet, how we approach the turntable over what kind of floor covering, etc.  By that mechanism, even using the Xerostat correctly does not cure the problem, because the work of the Xerostat is undone by wool carpets, leather-soled shoes, touching the wrong thing, all in the process of changing or removing an LP from the platter.  But, I have to say, static charge that has the force to pull your tonearm presumably off its rest and onto/into the platter surface is something I have never seen or heard of before.  I am guessing you own one of those early TD124s with the iron platter.  (In which case, the attraction between the magnet assembly in your cartridge and the iron platter may be at least part of your problem.)
To add to what Lewm said above, you need to learn how to use the Uncle Milty correctly. It does work. You hold it a foot away from the record and squeeze the trigger as slowly as you can and then do the reverse (releasing as slowly as you can) while slowly pulling the gun further away from the record surface. Using the new Audioquest carbon fiber brush (cheap at $20!) and licking the fingers of both hands and then using the AQ brush while holding onto a grounded piece of gear with the other hand will also work. I do both with every record I play. And Lewm is also right about the most likely cause of your problem. Static will not draw a cartridge from it's rest. I have a TD124 and it does tend build up a lot of static and mine has a very thick aluminum super-platter over the OEM iron sub-platter. I have had records adhere to the platter mat due to static but never a cartridge drawn to the platter. 
I actually took the OP’s word earlier, that he followed the manufacturer’s recommendations. Maybe those who’ve posted negatively should re-read the OP’s original post?
Just sayin’
@dweller,
Thanks for your contribution to things your are totally unaware of.
I would try to get to the source of the static. You (@fromunda) said you have hardwood floors. Are you wearing socks, long pants that chafe? I play records barefoot and it makes a big difference. Relative humidity is, as mentioned, an important factor.
I’ve had those Zerostat guns for decades, and while they do ’work’ to a degree, I’ve always tried to get to the source of the problem, rather than try to ameliorate it.
In terms of de-static devices, you can buy a bench top ionizer of the type used in chip/electronics building as a refurbished or used item for way less than the audiophile approved ones. I haven’t had to resort to that.
Also, how are your records sleeved? Pulling them in and out of a paper sleeve is likely to charge them. I resleeve in a good aftermarket inner and then don’t put the record back in the jacket, but instead in a ’pocket’ created by an aftermarket jacket sleeve-- less friction when I removed the sleeved record to play and return it after play. All these things help.
@whart ,

I already tried these remedies with the OP. Hopefully, your (pull) will bring a more rationale to this discussion.