VSi60 Bias Adjustment

Today I checked the bias settings on my VSi60 and I get a 0 millivolt reading from one of the tubes.   The amp was warmed up for 30 minutes before the test but was not connected to my speakers while testing.  The other 3 tubes show a 60mv reading.

To try to see if it was a bad tube I did try another tube set (KT-120) in the amplifier and I got the same result.   So it's probably not a bad tube.

I'm fairly new to tube amplifiers but I have had the VSi60 for a couple of years and I do like it.

My question is what do I do?   I cannot fit the plastic screwdriver that came with the amp into the slot of the bias adjustment of the tube that needs adjusting.   Should I unscrew the trim plate on top and make a bias adjustment?   Or is the amp broken and in need of service?    The amp sounds fine but I would like to know what's going on.

johndyson
Today I checked the bias settings on my VSi60 and I get a 0 millivolt reading from one of the tubes.   The amp was warmed up for 30 minutes before the test but was not connected to my speakers while testing. The other 3 tubes show a 60mv reading
I think the speakers should be connected to the amp outputs.
Thanks for the response.   It's good to figure out what is going on.    I bought the amp used on Audiogon and it came with 6550 and KT-120 tubes.   I don't know how many hours are on them.

I agree, you should never run the amp without speakers attached.

I would replace all the tubes since you don't know how old they are. Could well be that the tube was at the end of it's lifespan and that is why it failed. Email Jim McShane, you can google his name with the word tubes. He burns the tubes in a bit before he matches them just like ARC. But he is much less expensive than ARC. A real stand up guy. I have been buying my tubes from him for years.

I would still bring the amp to the local ARC dealer and ask him to replace the resistor. Most dealers will help you out hoping that in the future you may become a customer. It is a real quick and easy fix. I would bring the new tubes so that he can test the amp.

John Rutan at Audio Connection replaced the resistor and as one of the 6550 tubes was bad he switched the tubes to the KT120's that I had.   John also said that I should  to replace the 6H30 tubes because they were tired.

The repair was fine but I prefer the 6550 tubes to the KT120's in this amp.   I prefer the sound stage and the tone of the 6550's.  I ordered a new tubes.