HDMI cable for I2S

Well, the old upgrade itch had to be scratched, and even though it's a little behind the times now, I've invested in a refurbished PS Audio PWT and a used PWD MKII for my redbook CDs. The former is currently being assessed by the folks at PS Audio because it seemed unnaturally noisy when I received it, and the DAC hasn't actually arrived yet but should be here in the next day or so. So now that I can connect the two via HDMI using the I2S protocol, I need to stir up the old question of whether I'll get any advantage by shelling out some money for a high-quality HDMI cable? There's been a lot of verbiage devoted to this debate, but I would like to hear some real-world experiences. Have any of you compared different HDMI cables in this application, and did it make any difference? Of course one can carry this to its logical extreme, but I was thinking more along the lines of Audioquest Carbon (I use the coax versions of these in my system and think they're very good) or even their very modestly-priced Pearl cable. There's a Wire World Silver Starlight 7 available here on Audiogon just now, but I just can't work out whether it would make an audible difference over a standard (read: cheap) high-speed HDMI cable. Thanks for any input you may have on this.
BTW, speaking of logical extremes: http://www.audiolab.com/audioquest-diamond-hdmi-digital-audio-video-cable-with-ethernet/?utm_medium=...

cooper52

Hey Coop's: Amazing differences. Spotted and purchased a used Gustard U-12's (spdif converter) and experiment i2S OUT (over HDMi) into X-20pro (Gustard DAC).

Eventually I connected but had  only a generic 15-ft. Hdmi. U-G-L-Y  (lol -the sound).

Not sure of its contribution (i2S or cable quality) I decided to purchase the AQ 'Pearl' and 'Cinnamon' (both 2-m -as I thought I could use elsewhere if proved unsatisfactory. Yeah right ! 

Started with the 'Cinnamon' and OMG -you kidding me ? Another layer of dimensionality, tonal realism, articulation and layering that astounded me -and continues to. 
 An audiophile (on the i2S topic) stated he'd never go back/use another digital cable type -it's clear to see why now.
Furthering SQ descriptor's, the sheer sense of focus,definition musical flow/rhythm from an eerily silent background presents 3D-like sound projections mesmerizing to experience. And this, from 128 Kb/s Internet 'Streams'. 
Today, some 72-96 hours run time has settled the cables tonality.

I believe a 0.6m AQ  'Carbon' or 'Vodka' may be warranted for further exploration. All in all, a remarkable (and most welcome) discovery.

pj

Hey coop52:  For sure i2s (over HDMi) is both an excellent data transmission protocol -and SQ also influenced by 'quality' of HDMi cable.
My set-up (computer audio/Streaming) is both recent and modest; Pi3B (AQ Carbon USB to), Gustard X-20PRO DAC/w usb input. Prior to purchasing the AQ Carbon USB cable, SQ was very AM Radio-ish (using generic usb cable). AQ CArbon = OMG, Hi-Rez hi-fi. Not kidding.
Months later, I thought I'd try the HDMi input  on the Gustard (X20pro DAC). Not having a HDMi 'transport', I thought perhaps I'd pick-up a spdif converter offering up i2S (Gustard U-12). With a 15-ft generic (lol) HDMi, although far from excellent, was doing something (quite positive), so I thought it would be worthy of further exploration/experimentation.
So, some cheapy AQ Pearl (2.0m) and model up Forest (2.0) HDMi cables it was. Forget the Pearl, OMG -the 'Forest' HDMi) from U-12 (over HDMi) to i2S DAC was/is amazing !      (I'll creep up the AQ line (next is Cinnamon -on order), then Carbon, then Vodka -the highest I'd consider for my set-up.)
But low/behold, my brother let's me use his Vodka (1.5m) HDMi (just last night).Is it better? I think so. But, it sat (unused) for a couple months, and I'm not certain it even has the requisite break-in time. So, (only getting it last night), I'll run it for a while and report back (if I remember).

What is very clear however, is the immense SQ gains going i2S -even with a very modest Audioquest 'Forest' HDMi. I'd imagine 'Word Clk' (over BNC) offers similar/superior SQ (vs. i2s).
Yet, even with the $50.? AQ 'Forest'  (HDMi), SQ has never been better. It is excellent.
pj 

Try the Wireworld Platinum, it is impressive as a i2S connection. A bit pricey though. Try to find a used one.

ozzy
I’m asking a very naive question simply because I didn’t understand the answers given above. So my apologies at the outset 
1. Can I run an hdmi cable between the Oppo103D and my PerfectWave DAC? Use the hdmi out to I2S input on the DAC? Will it pass the audio signal properly?
2. Is digital by hdmi better than coaxial?
 Thanks for your replies 🙏
HI Johnread- the Oppo outputs combined audio and video thru the HDMI output, while the input for I2S input on the PWD is ONLY for digital audio, so NO- connecting the two via HDMI cable will NOT work.