Small dedicated listening rooms

Potentially downsizing from a 17’ x 22’ room to a 8’6 x 10’ room.
Currently have huge three-way floor standers that would swallow the room.
Mostly ARC equipment.
Thoughts on speakers with a smaller footprint that don’t have to be too far off the walls?
Budget of 15k max. Used is fine.

luckytiger1
I have a similar situation. My room is 10' X 10.5' w/ 8' ceilings. My speakers are ATC SM19s on stands. Independently, through trial and error, the room is set up like Duke describes, except I opted for the speakers further away from the wall. I sit about 4-5' away from the towed in speakers. I had all kinds of reflection issues and slowly I've had to add a lot of tweaks to get the sound that I want, but I have overcome most of the problems associated with a small room. The room is not pretty, but the sound is spectacular. Because I am so close the smaller SCM-19s provide a sweet sound even when not driven hard.
@luckytiger1 My current office is even smaller and I am currently running Audience 1+1 V2 (next week upgrade to V3) speakers. The V3 iteration are $3K new. I have Benchmark DAC3L ($2K) and Benchmark AHB2 amp ($3k) + computer + Sonare microRendu. So around $10K new. Sounds pretty damn good.

Read the review of the speakers. There are no crossovers in the speaker design. They weigh 9lbs and do not go deep but in a small room that is good. You can always pair with a sub if you can find one that is fast enough to keep up.

http://audience-av.com/loudspeakers/1plus1/

I like rollinT have 19 s toed in at me almost!/straight near feild with some space (3’ 6" from back wall to front/tweeter) no damping/ from the wall to offer soundstage...and the port less cabs sound great in small room...depending on your listening preference you might not need sub...i do get to wanting some shaking the walls...I do have 200watts aside pushing them to there best...but small room can be done right...
Post removed