Upgrade from Pass Labs XA30.8 to X250.8. Worth it?

I am getting ready to make some upgrades to the system. I currently running a DAC into a BAT51SE, then a Pass Labs XA30.8, then finally into Decware DM947 speakers (don't worry if you've never heard of them; not the last word in speakers, but have been doing a solid job for about 5 years now.)

I am contemplating moving up the Pass Labs amplifier line, and the X250.8 looks attractive. I would like to hear more bass authority and definition, but I don't really want to sacrifice the mids and highs of the 30.8. 

I would love to hear some of your impressions of the X250.8, especially if you are able to make some direct comparisons to the XA30.8. I've spoken with both Mark at Reno Hifi, and Kent English of Pass Labs; both are wonderful and informative people. What I am interested in now is the opinions and experiences of end users of either of these amps. 

Thanks! 
willrich47

I used to own the XA30.5; it was a great amplifier. It replaced my Decware Torii Mk IV, which I was sure, was going to be my ‘terminal amp.’ When I got the XA30.5, I thought I was taking a huge chance on it. I didn’t expect it to perform well against my valve amp and figured there was a 50/50 chance I would be disappointed and sell it. I was surprised to find that the Pass Labs XA30.5 eclipsed my Torii in almost every way. 

The XA30.8 sounded different in a couple of ways. For starters, it sounded great cold! Maybe better than the XA30.5 warmed up. 

There are plenty of other differences between the two amps. For example, the 30.8 is darker, much smoother, clearer, images better, and voices may be pulled back just a hair. It's got more mid-bass, which I like a lot (reminds me of my tube amp). Its bass is overall much punchier, tighter, clearer. The 30.8 sounds much more powerful overall.

On top, the main difference between the XA30.5 and XA30.8 is that the XA30.5 has a 'sweetness' on the very highest frequencies. I don't hear it with the XA30.8. I liked the sweetness on the XA30.5, but there are bound to be a couple of gives and takes. 

I can see why you like the 30.5!!

Willrich47,
Keep the 30.8 and upgrade your speakers.  You are already driving those speakers with a world class amp.  You were pleasantly pleased when the Pass outperformed your Decware amp. It is the same with your speakers.  Yes Decware makes very nice affordable equipment but spending more on a amp will not automaticly give you better sound. Budget for new speakers and keep your current amp and preamp.
@bobheinatz honestly, that is really the heart of the decision I am making right now. I’ve got a pretty good offer on the X250.8 that I am interested in taking. But for the same out of pocket price, I could also get a pair of Tekton Double Impact speakers, which everyone is raving about. (Incidentally, Tekton’s HQ is not far from where I live and they’re willing to let me come in for a listen.)

My goal is to add a bit of slam to the already great sound my system produces. The Double Impacts are nearly 4 times as sensitive as what I’ve got, but does that necessarily translate to more of the “slam”? I don’t know. 

I know the X250.8 will probably give me more of that and probably a bit more detail and space too. But like you intimated, my mid-fi speakers are probably the limiting factor in my system. I’m just trying to determine what gives more of what I’m looking for: the speakers or the amp?
If you would like to keep XA30.8, maybe a high sensitive speaker with powered woofer is a smart move. For example paradigm 9H with sensitivity 93-96db 
I think a key question is how loud you drive your speakers.  Most people are too focused on amplifier power.  Even Nelson Pass seems to agree with this, given his side company First Watt!  If you are not listening at ear piercing levels, I would doubt you need an amp upgrade.