Solid State vs. Tubes - What if Transistors came first?

What do you guys think?

If transistors came first, and then decades later tubes were invented, would we have any tube amps we would call high end?

Wouldn’t they all fail to reach the height of performance and transparency set by transistor amps?

Best,

E

P.S. I love Conrad Johnson. I'm just wondering how  much of our arguments have to do with timing. 
erik_squires
geoffkait,

Prove what? Well, whatever it is, no need for me to prove it. Time will tell. You can jump on board now and later pretend you were avantgarde. Tickets are free.
Glupson you should feel special  GK likes to stalk,  chat with and trash you.   It means he likes you or maybe just that he thinks you are worth his trashing.   It's a very special honor and you should be proud!  If you stop he will miss you and wonder where you went like a little puppy.   
Convenience is what destroys art and quality, in time it destroys mind as well. What's the problem with changing tubes ? Some NOS tubes are quite expensive and difficult to find, though. 
dave_b,

Loudness button reminded me of my intermittent and unnoticed questions on these threads. People get into fierce arguments about tinniest pieces (for example, fuses), or directionality of wire, or taking covers off the component. They argue about perceived benefits and other camp makes just the opposite claims. Not once have I seen arguments about tweaks/tuning include how loud the music was when played with a certain tweak/tuning. Actual loudness is probably one of the most noticeable tweaks a person can do. It changes whole perception of sound in seconds or less. Some allegedly phenomenal cable that makes difference may not be that phenomenal at the different setting simply because ears/brain may not perceive the change it is supposed to make that noticeable. From what I understand, loudness button acts exactly on one part of that (brain), if not on ears themselves. Whatever it is, I often like it.
"What's the problem with changing tubes ?"
Not much, if someone prefers it to some other activities. However, needing to do it makes some users less inclined to support that technology when there is another, more convenient, option which still works quite well in many people's minds.

Convenience does destroy many things, I suppose. Inconvenience makes them, well, inconvenient. Sometimes inconvenient enough not to be practical for daily use. We just cannot win.