What were your humble beginnings on the path to high end audio?

Recently there has been a discussion as to the “price point where mid fi tops out and hi end systems begin”. I’d be willing to bet that there are not many folks who started out in this field of interest spending $100K, $50K or even $10K. Going back to your very beginnings, what was your first serious audio system?

I’ll jump in the wayback machine with Mr. Peabody and Sherman and give you a look at my beginnings.

My journey began at around age 13. I started out with a Lafayette KT-630, stereo tube amp that I built from a kit in my 9th grade, “electronics shop” class. The speakers were built at home from plans in the 1968, July issue of Mechanix Illustrated. I upgraded the cabinet construction from plywood, to solid mahogany. The twin woofers in each cabinet were also upgraded to 5” from the specified 4” units and the tweeters were also upgraded from the specified 2-3/4” units to the deluxe 3” units. The inductors in the 6db per octave passive crossovers were hand wound and the caps, terminal strips, L-pads, magnet wire and grill cloth were from Lafayette Radio Electronics as were the woofers and tweeters. The turntable was a purchased Garrard SL72B with a Shure M91E magnetic cartridge.

Check out the amp specifications on page 42 of the Lafayette 1968 summer catalog #648.
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Catalogs/Allied-Catalogs/Lafayette-1968-Summer.pdf

The raw speakers are shown on page 55 of the Lafayette 1971 catalog #710. Woofers, 99-F-01554, figure D. Tweeters were at the bottom of page 55, 99-F-00499. The Garrard SL72B is on page 69 of the same catalog.
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Catalogs/Consumer/Lafayette-1971.pdf

I still have the speaker systems and the amp and they all still work! Alas the SL72B is long since gone. I mowed a lot of grass and shoveled a lot of snow in the neighborhood to buy all that high end gear at age 13! :-D By todays standards, not very impressive, but to a 13 year old in 1968, it was awesome!

So to reiterate, what was your first serious audio system?

P.S. - If you are interested, check out some select old Lafayette, Allied Radio, Heathkit, Radio Shack, Olson and other old catalogs from what I think of as the “good old days” of electronics and my youth.
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Electronics_Catalogs.htm

vintage_heath
It was around 1977 - JVC 40 watt/channel integrated and tuner, Large Advents, Dual turntable w/Shure cartridge.
Wow!  Many years ago as a lowly Airman I ran across a dealer in Hawaii who was VERY generous. Even though I knew about the "High-End" I never thought I would be able to afford it. Much to my surprise and benefit, this dealer built my first system:
Maggie Tympani 1D
CJ MV45a
AI Dual Mono
VPI HW19
Syrnx Tone arm
Koetsu Black

From then on I've been hooked on great audio. The system was all used of course, except the table and cartridge. In exchange, I referred MANY soldiers who heard my system to him and he extended the same benefits to them and for the 4 years I was there this relationship flourished as he let me try new gear, etc. 
I've tried finding him to this day with no luck. But I'll always be grateful. 

From the 70's:
Original Advent speakers (with walnut case work)
Harmon Kardon 630 receiver
Dual 1219 TT with Shure cartridge

Best price / performance / sound I have ever encountered. To this day, and even with inflation adjustment, I don't think it will ever be touched by anything.

Pretty darn cool stories!!

I was born into the hobby. My cousin's Doc Watson and my aunt & uncle owned a private charter jet biz for entertainers, so I always had cool HiFi and recording gear around me.

MG

My father was something of an audiophile, so I grew up listening to Kef 105.2 speakers and a Carver Cube/Holographic sound amp system.
It sounded absolutely incredible.

In the 90's I met my wife and when we moved in together she brought in a Harmon Kardon receiver/amp and old Thiel 02 speakers (monitors, box-shaped, even before Thiel went to time/phase coherent designs).
Those speakers never failed to entrance me with their beautiful tone and incisive, neutral sound.

Upon hearing a friend's Quad ESL 63s I got bitten by the high end bug, bought a pair, and the journey I'm still on essentially continues (many speakers since).

But I still own those old Thiel 02 speakers.  I simply can not get rid of them because they remain, in some ways, a benchmark.  They combine warm tone, with sparkling transients, and an absolute air-moving palpability within their frequency range, that still blow me away.  Sometimes no matter what far more expensive speaker I own, I setup the 02s and think they do some things "better."