Phono cable and preamp for soundsmith Carmen mk2

A year ago I decided to update my stereo system and soon after also thought I should be able to play my vinyls (not played in 15-20 years).
I started of with a modest turntable, a used project 2Xperience SB(~1500$), supplied with original turntable cable (PRO-JECT CONNECT-IT E for ~50$). Cable has low capitance but is porly shielded.
Didn’t have a clue about what pickup to choose. After a recommendation I purchased a Soundsmith Carmen Mk2, a moving iron cartridge. I believe it can be used with an improved setup.

For preamp I bought a project Phono Box DS2 USB(~500$), I thought it would be nice to be able to record some of my old albums. I did set it up with a optic cable towards my amplifier. Something was missing, I learned that it was a mistake to use optic cable, the sound was clear but not analog. Now I use a Pangea Premier Interconnect (RCA) between phono preamp and amplifier.

This weekend I have evaluated better turtable cable, a Oyaide PH-01RR RCA-RCA (170$) with total capacitance:160pF (cable 100pF/m ). It was an improvement, mostly due to shielding I belive.
It is said to be designed for MM, but to my knowledge has rather high capitance: http://www.canyonaudio.si/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/PH-01RR_release-ENG-PDF.pdfWhat
I have now learned that MM cartridges should be used with cables of low capitance, I assume that is valid for MI as well. One of the recomended, at my current price range and knowledge, is Furutech AG-12 R4(~500$). Do not know if the furutech is the best for MI/MM.

- Any suggestion regarding turntable cable (2rca->2rca+ground)?
- What are the parameters I should look into?
- Should I go for a silver cable? Shielding and contacts?

Considering updating phono preamp to Soundsmith MMP3 mk2 Phono Preamp, should match the Carmen. Can’t find many reviews. Max phono preamp cost perhaps 1500$.
The aim is that the preamp could be used with a better turntable, perhaps a VPI scout. Will turntable cable caracteristics have impact on the MMP3 settings and finally sound properties/quality?

I’m not a true audiophile but I appriciate ”good” sound quallities!
I do not have possibillty to try to many types of cables due availabillity and distance to shops.

Regards 
Hakan

Ps Sorry about the poor english, I from Sweden :-)

hook68
@hook68 there's 1/2 dozen reviews on the PH10 3 alone are in Positive Feedback they liked it that much. I really don't use the 6 EQ curves just leave it on the standard RIAA and enjoy.
Your English is not poor at all.
Phono stage should be matched with preamp, both electrically and musically. Impedance match is important. Could you tell us more about your system and the kind of sound you would like to achieve?
Carmen is a good cartridge and yes, tonearm cable is very important. There are many phono stages that should work well.
Some here always recommend Herron or Parasound as if they didn't know any other brands.
I picked up a Carmen mk2 several months ago and I've been very happy with it. In my system and to my ears it out performed a Dynavector 20xh and an Ortofon 2m bronze.About two months ago I picked up the Soundsmith MMP3 phono stage from the Cable Co.with a 30 day in home trial and I ended up keeping it. I compared the MMP3 to a Graham Slee Reflex M,Audio Vista Phono 1 and the Van Alstine phono stage and I preferred the Soundsmith with the Carmen.
Update
So I went to a couple of dealers to borrow phono preamps and phono cables for a evaluation.

The biggest surprise for me was how big a deal an improved cable has on sound compared with original unshielded cable.

Cables tested:
- Furutech AG-12 R4 500$
- Sonus Concordia - Mars 500$
- QED SIGNATURE Audio 40 300$

I listened to the furutech for the better part of a weekend and I was quite pleased with it. Finally iI compared it with the others.
All cables where good, but the Sonus Concordia - Mars stood out. I bought it.

Phono preamps tested:
- Soundsmith MMP3 mk2 800$
- ASR Mini Basis mk3 1500$
- CYRUS AUDIO Phono Signature 1500$

I bought the ASR an I really liked it!

The ASR together with the Sonus Concordia delivered pleasant separation between instruments, I clould feel that there was ”air” or openess between the different instruments. At the same time as they delivered a natural sound as well as the music sounded bigger. The ASR sounded very dynamic with a very powerful and controlled bass. The sound image of precise spatiality is combined with a very good detail resolution. Previously I used a subwoofer (Velodyne SPL-1200 Ultra) to get more bass and volume for some vinyls. I do not feel the need for that now, in fact it does not bring any good sound qualities just more bass.
The MMP3 came on second place, but was probably a winner regarding to price. A dissadvantage is that it cannot be used for MC pickups.

Cables were evaluated with the ASR.
Phono preamp were evaluated with the Sonus Concordia.

I’m a music listener still learning the art of understanding how good sound reproduction should sound. When getting more high end equipment I have tended to look for better recordings outside of my normal music area. I reallise that there are just bad recordings as well as well as that some music perhaps is not right for modern speakers.
In the beginning I could hear that some musik did not sound right, but I could not put my finger on what was wrong. In the evaluation I have learned by recording music from the speakers with an iphone, then comparing (same song with different equipment) and discussing with experienced friend. We were very surprised how much influence cables make. Recordings with iphone does not provide good sound but can be used for comparison, it gives you an idea what to focus on in the listening. 

Music on vinyl used i the evaluation:
1. The Pink Panther theme - Benny Goodman https://youtu.be/w7zsDKYYbF8
2. Give a little bit - Supertramp https://youtu.be/WA7JY1OoxnU
3. Visa från Utanmyra - Jan Johansson https://youtu.be/t2D5HlKLh34
4. No one to depend on - Santana https://youtu.be/mYc-zH0Ak6

Next step? Probably improved RCA cable to the amplifier (now Pangea) and power cord to phono preamp, probably the power cord first.
According to my dealer I would have to by a turntable in price range 3000-4000$ to really get an improved sound. The improvement would be better and more detailed sound. The pickup and preamp is well prepared for turntable upgrade!