I need your help. I have an ARC Ref 3, ARC 110, Vandersteen 5As, but no turntable.

I am looking for suggestions for phono amp, turntable, arm and cartridge to match my existing system. The ARC110 does not have a phono, so I am stuck as to what will pair best. Thanks for your thoughts. JMW
jaym759
@inna 

Ralph always says direct drive Technics, that's his preference, which is fine.
We've been making a belt drive machine for about 20 years. It is very neutral but the Technics is less expensive and I think its a better machine and even includes a tone arm! I make money on the sales of our turntable, but I don't think I'll be selling any since the advent of the new Technics.
@bpoletti : "" You are EXTREMELY BIASED toward SS... "", agree and I’m biased because from some years now is the only real/true alternative to achieve the targets I posted here. Period.

" and have deep financial interests in the products you promote. "

that is totally untrue and a lie. I promote or have for sale nothing of my electronics or similar items. So, I have not any financial interests other than fulfill my home room/system targets that can honor the MUSIC needs. ThAt’s all. Got it?

Instead trying to attack me and only for a " change/fun " why don’t post a true contribution for all of us can improve our today system quality level performance by wide margin?

R.
jaym759,

jperry, fsonicsmith and Ralph have provided excellent advice. bpoetti keeps hammering the Herron phonostage home as the best on the planet (get Real) , roberjerman,  his suggestions are Lame. The Hana SL is a good cartridge But the mounting requires screws and nuts, the mounting holes are not threaded. Even an Expert will appreciate a cartridge with threaded mounting holes. Raul, take his advice with a Large grain of salt,enough said here.

We don't know your budget. Give us a number.

I still own my Linn LP12 for 30 years. I bought a Kuzma at Axpona in 2016 even after hearing a Technica SL1200G and knowing that I wanted one with a better tonearm on it.

My final rigs will be the Kuzma and the modded (by Ralph) Technics SL1200G.

There are many fine TTs available, (new and used) I think everyone should have two TTs. Belt drive and Direct drive.

The Technics SL1200G and SL1200 GR are the best values and performance in new TTs right now. Technics does not make mistakes. Either of these TTs will provide value and performance for years while you build a record collection and decide whether you want to pursue Vinyl. They are a good place to start your analog journey.

Use Your Ears!  Vinyl is a long journey. The used record stores have been picked clean by guys like me, since CD was introduced and people were dumping their Vinyl collections. You almost need to buy new and new reissues Or pay high prices for collector vinyl. Or wait for guys like me to pass and hope that you can score Big Time from my wife.

As inna indicated, Vinyl is about Flavor. Take your time finding the combination of flavors that you like. Get auditions, even if you need to pay for shipping and return of phonostages. Or travel to dealers and attend shows.

Recommendations to start you off.

One of the Technics TTs - They come with a good tonearm.
ARC phono for compatibility
I like Lyra cartridges; Last the longest IMO
I am becoming quite fond of my Dynavector cartridge

Use Your Ears. Take Your Time. 
Best on Your Journey.
Dear @jaym759: This was posted by @nkonor:

"  Vinyl is a long journey................................................................

As inna indicated, Vinyl is about Flavor. Take your time finding the combination...""

yes a very long learning journey. Try to listen as many you can room/audio systems at home places of other audiophiles that is a different listening experience than through an audio distributor show room.

At the same time try to attend as many live events you can especially acoustic/non-amplifiyed MUSIC.

R.
Ralph, I hope you are wrong about your turntable's imminent defeat. Don't surrender easily.
It is difficult to choose a turntable, difficult to audition in the same or at least similar system. Difficult to advise too, that's why I didn't really.
The idea of having both belt drive and direct drive turntables appeals to me. At least the OP should I think listen to that Technics and a few belt drive tables. The choice might also depend on the kind of music he mostly listens to. DO NOT save couple of thousands on turntable, or even more, if you do you might spoil everything.