Ohm Walsh Micro Talls: who's actually heard 'em?

Hi,

I'd love to hear the impressions of people who've actually spent some time with these speakers to share their sense of their plusses and minuses. Mapman here on Audiogon is a big fan, and has shared lots on them, but I'm wondering who else might be familiar with them.
rebbi

I would like to thank everyone that has contributed to this thread.

...and an extra thank you to all Ohm owners.

Everyone should feel free to call me personally to discuss your needs and options.

Good Listening!

John Strohbeen
President
800-783-1553
John,
You have always been a gentleman and if this thread has helped you to sell some speakers, then I'm glad!
Hi all, got a message from Ohm that my 3000 drivers are on the way, should get here tomorrow if the snow doesn't slow things down. Thanks John! Looking forward to getting these put on the 3's and breaking them in, and then sitting down to enjoy some great Ohm magic. Will report back on how this all goes.

Bond, anymore good takes on the surround experience? You said something about placing your MWT's on some blocks to get them up off the floor, how high are the drivers in relation to your head/ears? I am really interested in how all this works for you, I will probably be making a decision in the next couple of months or so on ordering a pair of MWT's for my room and giving it a try.

Telescope, if you haven't heard the Ohm's yet, give them a try, they are wonderful speakers, and John and Co. are great to work with, they will get you what you need. It is great to have the ability to listen to them in your own home with plenty of trial-time, and quite a few budgetary options. Enjoy! Tim
My micro Talls stunned me last night. I've been reading all the ohm threads, and mapman said if the imaging seems unbalanced, to try toeing the speakers out to get more exposure to the super tweeter on the weaker speaker. When I toed out the left speaker about 1/2 inch, BOOM! The sound was now balanced, and you could tell that the room was energized with the sound from whatever the local FM station was playing at the moment. I thought "I've finally got them dialed in, this is what they're supposed to sound like" But that's not the best part. I was standing in my room directly in front of the right speaker about 7 feet back, when the music suddenly stopped. Then a lone bass note along with some noise came out of the area by the the left speaker, then the sound proceeded to go along the left wall, and then come straight at me and immerse me with sound, I mean that I could "see" the sound moving and track it comming at me, and even though I was at the far right wall of my room the sound was all encompassing. I have never experienced this with ANY other speaker I've owned, not even with my former system that had the Carver "Sonic Holography" Like I said, the experience left me stunned, and extremely happy. I'm now tempted to upgrade to a set of the 100's, which would be the largest size that my 11x11' room could accomodate, but I'll have to call John at Ohm to discuss all the details. I would like to know if there are any other Ohm owners with similar experiences
Joe, when I had the OW2/2000's for test, I can remember many times that they would surprise me. If everything is set up properly, I am always amazed at how they sound even when listening from very unconventional hi-fi positions, off axis, walking around the room etc. I have been so used to sitting more head-in-vise with my Magnepans, and with the Ohm's, I don't worry over it so much, it just doesn't seem to matter.

One Sunday morning I was sitting a good bit back from the speakers, even outside of the left-hand speaker. I was listening to a morning show called OverEasy, usually good acoustical stuff. Neil Young's Harvest Moon was playing and I had been reading and I just dropped the book in my lap and sat there just totally transfixed on just the music. It just sounded so real, lifelike. And I can't say that I am especially a big Neal Young fan overall! Yet sitting in that position, I still had it all there, great soundstage, and just a wonderful musical event.

I sometimes find it difficult to put into words just what these speakers do. It isn't like they force me to listen, or that they draw me into the performance really, they just are very natural performers and make great music! It is so easy to listen to music through these transducers, other speakers soemtimes can be hard to really listen to or I seem to be listening too hard that it is almost work! Not with these.

I think John has done a super job of voicing these, very incredible really. Any good live recording especially is pretty amazing. I am so looking forward to getting my 3000's going. It has been a long road getting here, but one I think will be special for a long time-that is until I can maybe afford 5000's! I am glad to hear that so many of you guys have enjoyed them as much as I did years ago, and soon will again. By the way, I would put in a plug for the Super 2000 upgrade, that is a great cost-effective upgrade if anybody already owns OW2 cabinets with original drivers. And if you don't, John can get you fixed up, especially if like myself, tend to like the older style cabinets. Enjoy the music! Tim