Putting your components inbetween your speakers.

Would like to know if there is any truth about putting your components inbetween your speakers will affect the imaging other than an amp between the speakers on the floor.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman
I do not like an image and soundstage that deep with my system.

Hang on lets get this right, this is not a false image/depth impression, it doesn’t happen with every recording, only with ones that have been recorded with it, others can sound as flat as a pancake.

Just get hold of Chesky sampling and audio test disc, Part 2 Audio setup test tracks, track 12 Image and depth test, at different lengths up to 4mts back from the from the microphone, then you'll realise with your stuff between the speakers you've ruined your image/depth as seen with your eyes and heard with your ears.  

Cheers George
Is imaging better down the length of the room or across the short length?
What about near-field? 

@noromance: Kinda a late post to your question, but from my experience and all I’ve read, you want your speakers, depending on what type, to be placed far from the side and rear walls and your listening position to be far enough from the back wall, for the sound to actually have a chance to “form.”  I heard Dennis Foley say the best place to listen, would be out in a field, where reflection points etc, can not enter in to the sound.  On your direct question, I would want my listening position to be on the long end of the room.  I’m sure you’ve figured this out by now.