Studer vs Otari

What are the main differences that translate into sound quality differences ? I heard that Studer transport is incomparable. I am talking about Studer A810 and A807. As for Otari, I don't know which one is best. The price difference is big, a few thousand dollars. Yes, I know that Studer A80 is even better but that will always be out of reach. Not going to buy anything right now, just thinking that maybe Otari would be enough for not the highest resolution system.
What do you in the know think ? I am a tape guy not really a vinyl guy so of course I want the best, but I may not need the best.
inna

Interesting thread, I was looking to get into R2R's last year. I read quite a bit and the one place that seemed to have good modern info was the Tape Project. from what I have read the Studers are fantastic rigs but they also say the Otari is no slowch mostly it seems to be a where you live and what's available to buy and get serviced. Also to add another that seems to get a lot of praise is the technic RS 1500-1506 series. I would recommend you look into bypassing the internal electronics (audio section) and have your heads wired to a dedicated pre-amp. bottle head has a rather nice one from what I have read for not to much money as an example. Then its down to what has the best transport and heads available. NAB, speed's  are other things to consider.

I don't think Studer plays back quater track pre-recorded tapes but Otari does. Unless of course you have a custom headblock for Studer. Yes, outboard playback head pre-amp. That would be another project. I would probably start this by asking Ralph of Atmashere or Vladimir of Lamm to make me a tube one. Technics is excellent too. I would ship the deck for service if I had to, no problem.