Optimal Volume and Settings for Mytek Brooklyn

Hi all!

I’ve got a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ driven by a MacBook Pro. When I put the volume above about -3 I get distortion and clipping. Is this expected? I usually leave it around -10. Is there an optimal volume?

also, I know it has filters, but I’m not sure what any of them do or how they are suppose to differ.  Does anyone have preferences on them? At the moment everything is default. Thanks!
Ag insider logo xs@2xmayoradamwest
MQA isn’t how I experienced this. That seems to work fine. It seems to happen when switching via USB and internet radio. If you are using a pre, most bypass the Mytek volume control entirely, letting it output full range, and using the pre to reduce output for the amps.

It is also possible you are overloading your pre though. If I’m totally wrong as to the source of your problems. The issue was not bits by the way, but sampling rate. 44 to 96 for instance doesn’t always work right. But for some reason it seemed to happen more often with Internet radio.

For instance a Toronto Jazz FM 91 station used to put out 96/16. When I switched ot them sometimes the Brooklyn would still say 44/16. That's when the audio was bad. I'd switch back and forth to CD or something, and it would pick up the correct sampling rate, and display 96/16. Then the distortion was gone. Weird it works at all, but the distortion tends to happen on the high end of horns and sibilance range. 
That's exactly what MQA to non-MQA does on Tidal. MQA shows 96/24 while everything else is 44/16. That said, I still feel like the sound on my system is better when I back off the volume a bit on the Mytek. I have a McIntosh C47 preamp arriving early next week, so we'll see if that makes a difference. I'd be surprised to learn the Rotel flagship preamp couldn't handle the output of the Mytek, though.
I run my Brooklyn at full volume into an Ayre a7xe with zero issues at all. I have yet to have a sample rate bug appear fortunately either.
Mostly just stream Tidal though it for MQA and seems to vary anywhere from 16/44 to 24/48 to 24/88 to 24/96 to 24/192. And appears to switch happily between them with no distortion.

Have you tried to run the Brooklyn at full volume and just back off the volume on the Rotel?