Best Preamp - NO preamp... (?)

A few hours ago I decided to experiment and bypassed my highly regarded, excellent passive preamp and hooked up my PS Audio DSD DAC directly to the power amp.
There is no going back...
Every aspect of the sound has improved so dramatically that I'm simply blown away. I'm a bit shocked, playing CD after CD and I still can't believe it.
My phono stage has gain control as well, so it seems that from now on it will be disconnecting RCAs and plugging each in turn.
Since I usually do vinyl day or cd day (or week) anyway, the trouble seems totally worth it. Letting the cable settle in for a bit is not an issue.
Am I just crazy or are any of you doing the same?
Should I be concerned about damaging  the RCAs over time?
Thanks for your thoughts and experience. :-)
128x128ami
lancelock
My new preamp has has improved the sound of my amp by leaps and bounds. No question that using a preamp in this case is an improvement.

Fair enough, your new pre sounds better than your old preamp, goes to prove no two pre’s sound the same, just like none can sound like the fabled "strait piece of wire"

But direct source to power amp is, and will sound like a "strait piece of wire", because guess what? that’s what it is!!
If you don’t like it that way, many don’t, it’s because you DON"T like the sound of your source!!.
Better change it and save $4,450, instead of putting a band-aids on it with different sounding preamps.
Put the $4.5k towards a better front end source with built in volume control ability, then revel in the dynamic transparency direct source to poweramp can give you, once you’ve heard it this way with a source you like, there’s no going back to an active preamp.

And that’s why we have this thread called,
" Best Preamp - NO preamp... (?) "

Remember your hifi system all starts with the source.
"To quote a famous saying. It all starts with the source, get that right and your 1/3rd the way there, if not, it's a never ending battle to get the truth."

Cheers George

@geoffkait in the beginning, god created 2. Then the devil spiced things up by creating the ménage à trois. 
@georgehifi  +1
Since I opened this thread almost 2 years ago, I have had the chance to audition a few other preamps in the loop, just to amuse my audiophile friends who insisted 'But you haven't heard XYZ preamp yet... it will take your system to another league...'
These included the PS Audio BHK signature preamp, and top-of-the-line ARC and CJ, among a few less known brands, mostly >$10K units, all with rave reviews by leading magazines, and in this forum...
The $6K PS Audio BHK signature was the only one that came close to having no preamp at all, but still a clear second best.
All but 2 (one who uses only an analog source, and one who will never admit to be wrong) of these skeptics, that brought their 'holy grail' preamps for audition, ended up selling them shortly thereafter, and getting the PS Audio DSD DAC with Bridge II, and the DMP transport as a digital source... ;-) 
Yes ami thousands spent on these, and owners are very afraid they are going the way of the dodo bird. Like a someone else you guys have over there.

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.205675140.2343/flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

Funny you mentioned PS Audio BHK signature preamp. Paul McGowan was in the staunch anti active preamp brigade, and all for going direct.
That was right up until he released info that he was bringing out the, PS Audio BHK signature preamp, don’t suppose sales and the mighty $$$$ had anything to do with his massive turnaround????

Cheers George
Yep @georgehifi ... No one knows, but I doubt it, as Paul McGowan is one of the rare, brutally honest, no BS guys I've had the pleasure of knowing in this business. He was not ashamed to admit in the PS Audio forums, that a $10 Chinese made Amazon HDMI cable bettered his $400 PS Audio silver I2S cable. I bought that cable, and he was right... I'm still using it today.
And we need to remember that their setup is not the same as mine.
They tested the BHK preamp driving their solid state BHK power amps.
I use a flea-power Yamamoto A08S SET tube amplifier, which might happen to be a better match for the direct output of the DSD DAC than a solid state amp. 
It could also be that my speakers, a set of $6K Zu Audio Druids Mk V, don't reveal what the $50K Infinity IRS-V do (or the other way around?).
And yet... it might be the $$$, or just him giving ultimate respect for Mr. Bascom H. King. :-)