Benchmark DAC2 seeting into Ayre k5exMP preamp

I just purchased a Benchmark DAC2 and hooked into my Ayre K-5xeMP preamp and set the HT Volume Bypass mode as per instructed in Benchmark manual. I started getting bad popping noises until I turned off and turned the volume control to 12 O'Clock ( halfway ). Benchmark manuals also states when using Balanced Analog outs the input sensitivityof an amp may require changing the internal output pads to -10db. 
Anyone have any insight on this ? I bought the Benchmark very lightly used at less than a year old, maybe something wrong with it ?

Once I set the volume control to halhway or the 12 O'Clock position all seemed fine. I do not want to blow a resistor in my Ayre preamp howver. Thank you for your feedback.
lnitm
Read Stereophile’s review of your preamp.  I think Atkinson’s measurements found that the input FETs can be overloaded if the source is too hot.

I set the Benchmark output jumpers to 10db which is minus 10db and all is fine now. Sounds very good, I can already hear improvement over the OPPO 105d DAC. Seems like this has solved the issue probably to your point cedargrover. 
Thank you
The Benchmark DACs put out something like 18 volts at full volume without resistor pad attenuation. This is too much for most preamp inputs. The resistor pads allow you to drop the output signal level to something much lower that your amp can handle.